Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok besides this site making my iPhone flip out... I can not upload a photo to save man kind. I have spent; I still can't believe it, 11 hours trying to post this with pics, can't be done. So if you guys can't picture what I'm trying for then sorry for the wast of time. My project: I have run in to two identical sets of Nite Rider DIGITAL. Not sure of the year but they are duel halogen each with a water bottle shaped battery/casing. They are in really really good condition, an me being a DIY guy I figure I can gut them an use the volume, meaning the battery holder size, can't stand the length of battery's on the 2500SURFAS, to make a set of 6000 cheap-lumen monster(s) using some CREE XPG I think there called? They are rated at 1500 lumens each, 3000 lumens each set, found them on LEDsupply.com an that's were I plan on getting most of my supply's. My main questions are is it worth it? Will there be too much heat in the light housing being it a hard plastic, maybe magnesium? An I want 5 hours of full power, doesn't have to be exact, I just want to not have to worry about my batteries, every mans dream. I also want to find out we're I can find heavy duty wire housing? Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome to MTBR and the DIY Light forum!

Because you only have two posts, it won't let you upload pics. I think it is 10 or something like that if I could only remember, there should be some rules/info on this.

Don

·
Registered
324 Posts
It is possible to build a genuine 6,000 lumen light, it's OTT, but don't let that stop you. Similarly it is possible to build a light with a five hour run time. There are just two problems with what you are dreaming about

1. A triple XP-G2 at 1.5A is going to need something like 3 x 3400 mAh 18650 batteries to run for 2 hours. You are proposing to use 4 x triple XP-G2, so that is something in the order of 30 x 18650 batteries to give you a run time of 5 hours. That little pack is going to set you back well over $200 & weigh about 1.5 kg. If you bundle them up in 3 rows of 10 the total package will be 65mm x 55mm x 183mm.
  2. But you won't need to worry about runtime as the plastic housings will have a lifespan measured in seconds. High power LEDs needs to be mounted in an aluminium housing with plenty of heat sink capacity.
Oh & you will also need a "driver" or 4 to run the leds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts