Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No. Just No.
5,368 Posts
RoundRockTJ said:
King classic disk rear hub. Can it be converted to the HD unit with that bolt on thingy?
Thanks
Yes. There's a few different components required to make the swap (axle, plus axle end(s) if I remember correctly). Parts can be pricey though since the last round of MSRP increases from CK a while back.

Not that it's a requirement, but do you already have the stainless driveshell? If you're going to be doing burlier riding, you might want to have this setup also but once you get into the cost to make all those swaps (parts and labour) you may be better off selling the hub as-is, and using to fund the purchase of a new complete hub pre-configured the way you want.

BTW, the name CK "Classic" hub is usually associated with the rim brake model, while the disc hubs are the "ISO Disc" which is the current standard with the 6-bolt rotor mount drilling, while the older "Disc-go-Tech" had the separate interchangeable rotor mounts for different patterns.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
While I am a big King fan, they don't have the best reputation for heavy duty wheels and the upgrade is expensive. It was over $100 before the rate hike so it's probably close to $150 for the HD axle, axle caps and fun bolts. You're probably better off selling the hub as is and maybe look at something beefier like the Hadley.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want a HD just to stiffen up the rear of my 29er a bit. Not looking for the relibality advantages of one for down hilling. I was looking at the King so that I can keep the spokes, although whats another $32. I will do some more research on the subject.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
you'd be looking at around $140 after taxes for the HD axle, adjusting cone, and Fun Bolts. i think you'd be better off doing that, rather than buying a new hub...but that's just my opinion. i'd rather pay $140 to swap that stuff rather than $350 for a new hub + spokes + labor time to rebuild a wheel.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If I have an HD Hub and a ISO Hub and want to swap the HD setup from one to the other is anything else required? Can we move parts around easily? This is mostly to move colors around at the most cost effective manner.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,073 Posts
I just bought a Chris King HD ISO rear hub. And was rather concerned of some guys that work at the bike shop switching out the stainless steel drive shell for thier alloy. They were drooling over my hub so much and were commenting on how they wished thiers were the HD version. How can I tell if mine has the stainless drive shell once the cassette is mounted? I know I sound paranoid but it is possible for the swap to be made.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I made the swap on one of my hubs when I built up my SS bike. It is easy to do, less than 15 minutes. The axles are the same for all the King MTB rear hubs.

Trey, I have a spare QR axle if you want to borrow it.

·
45,073 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
I just bought a Chris King HD ISO rear hub. And was rather concerned of some guys that work at the bike shop switching out the stainless steel drive shell for thier alloy. They were drooling over my hub so much and were commenting on how they wished thiers were the HD version. How can I tell if mine has the stainless drive shell once the cassette is mounted? I know I sound paranoid but it is possible for the swap to be made.
Anybody know this answer?

·
Registered
500 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
Are you for real? Jesus man, lay off the ganja and maybe you won't be so f**kin' paranoid.

It is *possible* for the swap to be made, but it is *delusional* to really think that they would. I mean, this is a local bike shop staffed by regular bike-ridin' people who want to keep their jobs right?

Is the shop staffed by a bunch of toothless meth-addicts just waiting for their next prey to come walking through the door? No? Then chill out.

But if you really want to know, then remove your cassette. Does the drive shell look like stainless steel? You know, hard and shiny? Then its stainless steel. Does it look like a used aluminum driveshell that belonged to some devious shop mechanic? Slightly less lustrous, specked with caked-on dirt and grease, and showing some bite marks from the previous cassette in the soft aluminum? Then it's aluminum.

Good luck with that.

·
45,073 Posts
cogswell23 said:
Are you for real? Jesus man, lay off the ganja and maybe you won't be so f**kin' paranoid.

It is *possible* for the swap to be made, but it is *delusional* to really think that they would. I mean, this is a local bike shop staffed by regular bike-ridin' people who want to keep their jobs right?

Is the shop staffed by a bunch of toothless meth-addicts just waiting for their next prey to come walking through the door? No? Then chill out.

But if you really want to know, then remove your cassette. Does the drive shell look like stainless steel? You know, hard and shiny? Then its stainless steel. Does it look like a used aluminum driveshell that belonged to some devious shop mechanic? Slightly less lustrous, specked with caked-on dirt and grease, and showing some bite marks from the previous cassette in the soft aluminum? Then it's aluminum.

Good luck with that.
Your right, I dont know where I get this paranoid shiet from. Thanks for setting me straight. I needed that.:madman: :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.