Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I understand correctly the ML8 uses a coil assist in the rear shock. My ML7 from 2001 has a coil assist and I really like the plush ride that it provides. I was considering the purchase of a 2008 Durance was curious if it could use the shock internals as used on the ML8. I don't need or want the weight and extra travel of the ML8 but it would be nice to have a really plush ride on the Durance. I demo'd a 2007 Durance, with the air spring only, and it definitely seemed less plush than my old ML7. That said I am sure the Durance can be tuned for a softer ride and in all fairness the demo bike was not in the best working order.

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,160 Posts
I felt the Mbits FOX made coil with air assist rear shock was not as small bump sensitive and & plush when compared to the full air Maverick built rear shock.

·
Registered
225 Posts
banks said:
I felt the Mbits FOX made coil with air assist rear shock was not as small bump sensitive and & plush when compared to the full air Maverick built rear shock.
I'd agree, I replaced the m-bits coil/air shock on my old ML7 with the newer fully air shock and noticed a marked improvement in suppleness and small-medium bump compliance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe it is just a function of my weight, but I only run 30 PSI in the coil assist shock and it is very compliant. Per the standard recommendation I should run as much as 50 PSI and no the ride is not very smooth. It would be a good setup for XC racing but terrible for general trail riding. I just find that an air spring ramps up very quickly. Yes you get some small bump compliance, but you get bucked around on bigger hits. It might just be a matter of running a lot of sag on the Durance to minimize the ramp up during compression.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Durance notes

Only the ML8 can fit the coil assist spring.The travel and lack of room in the shock body eliminates the use of the coil on other models. On the 08 Durance, the feel is more linear the before, so more coil like. More than likely the bike you rode had to much pressure in it and you really can dial it in for compliance and bigger hits. The older ML7 had a very small air chamber so the higher pressures would make it ramp up fast. We have tremendously more volume on the newer bikes compared to then, so tuning and ride feel are easy to dial in. The coolest thing on the new bikes is the amount of travel they have but with the same efficiency and snappiness as the shorter travel Mavs. The new Durance can start to be compared to the ML8 for smoothness. The ML8 is still stiffer laterally, but the new tubes on the Durances really stiffened it up, even in the small I ride! :thumbsup: But the ML8, with the extra travel and stiffness, can just plow through anything! :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback Ethan. This is very useful information. I actually live in Boulder and stopped at Full Cycle today to inquire about a demo. It sounds like the 2008 models will not be available for a while yet, but when they are I plan to demo both the Durance and the ML8. Weight is my only concern with the ML8 as I would really like to keep the bike to around 28 pounds using XTR parts and Industry Nine wheels.

·
Gentleman Loser
427 Posts
28 lbs is no problem for the 8

28 lbs is no problem for an ML8 with a DUC32 and not-gonzo tires.

I think the Durance is intrinsically a better climber than the 8. If weight is a concern, this too might concern you.

Given that the 8's strut meets the frame at a lower angle, it does squat a bit more when you're climbing steeps and have shifted weight rearward. On the other hand, the 8 is more forgiving when you're going down.

For me, it's sometimes hard to choose which bike to ride. The 8 affords a wide margin for error, but the Durance is definitely easier to pedal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts