Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will this mess up the geometry too much by lowering the BB and making the front too low?

I was looking at switching from an Ibis Mojo SL to HD/HDR for more descending ability, but thinking about the physics of a couple pounds only making me 1-2% slower, I figured I should consider other options even if I'll want to do the occasional 10k ft gain ride.

I bought a Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti that just happened to be Avalanched to my exact weight and riding style as well as some used 26" light bicycle carbon wheels with Hadley hubs, so the frame is all I have left to play with.

Edit: And one other question, does anyone have an opinion on DVO Jade Coil vs CC DB Coil Shock? The climbing switch on the Cane Creek seems like an important factor.

·
I'm with stupid
5,920 Posts
No idea, but if you decide to go back the HD route and ride a size large I have a 2012 frame sitting around collecting dust I could sell off.

I am also kinda wondering this question as well since I have a pushed 36 in 26" wheel size that I have wondered if it would fit a new balance frame ok with a 650b wheel set stuck in it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I called Canfield and they said that a 160 mm fork with 26" wheels would be OK, even on the 2016 frame. (I'm a medium, and definitely going with Canfield after what I've read. The person I talked with on the phone was very helpful and friendly even though I'm planning on buying used.) He just said to make sure the headset has an external cup.

If that works, a 26" fork with a 650b wheel should definitely work since 0.5 inches on the wheel is more than the difference on A2C between 160 and 170 mm forks. It's just a matter of whether the fork clears the wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts