Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to work out the head angle of my dobermann with a 2004 marz DJ II (110mm of travel). Dobermann's site says with a 110mm travel fork the HA is 69 degrees, but I thought axle to crown height mattered, and I can't find the specs for a 04 DJ II on marz's site,, its like the fork never existed.

·
I bike long tyme.
1,107 Posts
To get a true measurement, you just need to measure the crown to axle length of your fork and you'll need to know Doberman's crown to axle measurement they use to get that 69 degree figure. Once you have that, its roughly one degree for every 20 mm of crown to axle. Two different 100 mm travel forks could have varying crown to axle lengths but the same travel. Call Dob and have them give you some true measurement data then do the math. Good luck. Or you could go to Home Depot and and pick up an angle finder dial for $6.99. They work great!

G

·
I take a good head on picture of the bike, put it on MS paint, draw a nice line from axle to axle, then one directly up the fork, and use a protractor on the screen....lol it works! mines 67degrees....

·
I bike long tyme.
1,107 Posts
That's a good idea too. I forgot to write this before but I think one thing lots of people forget to take into account when they measure head angles with gauges, tools, etc. is to take into account how level the ground is the bike is sitting on also. The ground could easily be off which would in turn provide a false actual reading for your ride. You need a perfectly level surface if you're looking for precise info. Lots of variables, susp. sag will greatly effect your effective HA when you're on the bike too. What you get sitting against the wall might be two degrees off if your sags are all whacked.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
Secace said:
That's a good idea too. I forgot to write this before but I think one thing lots of people forget to take into account when they measure head angles with gauges, tools, etc. is to take into account how level the ground is the bike is sitting on also. The ground could easily be off which would in turn provide a false actual reading for your ride. You need a perfectly level surface if you're looking for precise info.
I always measure, then flip the bike around and measure again. Average the two and it cancels out the floor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.