Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DO I HAVE TO PAY $360USD AND WAIT FOR 42 DAYS IF I WANT TO ACTUALLY RIDE MY ROCKSHOX FORK AND STILL BE ABLE TO ENJOY THE WARRANTY??

I am a novice rider and intermediate mechanic living and riding in Hong Kong. I am now very angry with the customer service I experienced with the local distributor of Sram/RockShox.

Short version of my story:

Local distributor would not allow me to DIY change fork seals, wouldn't even sell the fork seals to me and would charge $60USD and 7 business days to do the simple service. So in order to keep the warranty by follow the service guide, every rider living in Hong Kong using Sram RockShox forks has to pay $60USD and wait 7 business days every 50hours of riding, that's 2 months if you ride 6 hours a week. So, in 1 year, I should be paying a total of $60 X 6= $360USD and 6 X 7 = 42 business days without a fork to use.

Here is the full detail:

I bought a 2010 RockShox Revelation last year in December. This June, I thought that after 6 months of riding, it is about time to change the fork seals, so I contacted the Sram distributor to buy some fork seals. What I get in reply is : The distributor does not stock and sell any fork parts to any customers, all suspension has to be taken back to the distributor for any service, including changing fork seals. They said that it was to protect the warranty. OK, fine, so I ask them how much and how long would it take for my fork to be serviced, they told me $480HKD, that's about $60USD and 7 business days! This was totally unacceptable, so I of course didn't do the service.

So, now, after nearly two months, my negative air chamber started to lose air pressure overnight, I send the fork back to the distributor, they told me that the had never serviced the fork since it was bought back in December 2009, that's already 6 months, so that it means that they can actually reject my warranty claim, but they will MERCIERFULLY do it this time, but they warn me that if I want to keep my warranty, I have to send the fork back to service at least 50 hours of riding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am led to believe all rockshox is user servicable. Thats why they have all the manuals on the sram site. especially changing seals. You void no warranty by servicing your forks yourself.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ridehard83 said:
I am led to believe all rockshox is user servicable. Thats why they have all the manuals on the sram site. especially changing seals. You void no warranty by servicing your forks yourself.
This is what I think too!! But the local distributor told me the otherwise: ALL AND ANYKIND OF SERVICE TO ANY SRAM PRODUCTS HAS TO BE PERFORMED BY AN AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN THE WARRANTY.

So, Sram, why do you post so many service videos on YouTube if you don't want us to touch it? Or, are you trying to lure us to service our forks ourselves and void the warranty so you won't have so many warranty claims?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
This is a problem with your distributor, not with SRAM. Why don't you call them directly and discuss it with them? I'm sure they'd love to hear how their distributor is screwing over their users.

HQ: +1-312-664-8800
Asia: +886-4-2561-3678

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got 260 hours and 4000km off road on my shocks and they are only just starting to have problems with the + and - air chamber equalizing. 50 hours of use does not seem like much time to need a seal change. You local distrubitor sounds dodgy. Just buy all the parts online and do it yourself. Do you ride a lot of off road in dirty conditions?

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
Rock shox is 100% user serviceable.

The only time when the fork/shock has to be returned to an authorized distributor/dealer is for warranty repairs/replacements as Sram does not deal with the public consumer directly.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,491 Posts
Ernest Lam said:
DO I HAVE TO PAY $360USD AND WAIT FOR 42 DAYS IF I WANT TO ACTUALLY RIDE MY ROCKSHOX FORK AND STILL BE ABLE TO ENJOY THE WARRANTY??

I am a novice rider and intermediate mechanic living and riding in Hong Kong. I am now very angry with the customer service I experienced with the local distributor of Sram/RockShox.

Short version of my story:

Local distributor would not allow me to DIY change fork seals, wouldn't even sell the fork seals to me and would charge $60USD and 7 business days to do the simple service. So in order to keep the warranty by follow the service guide, every rider living in Hong Kong using Sram RockShox forks has to pay $60USD and wait 7 business days every 50hours of riding, that's 2 months if you ride 6 hours a week. So, in 1 year, I should be paying a total of $60 X 6= $360USD and 6 X 7 = 42 business days without a fork to use.

Here is the full detail:

I bought a 2010 RockShox Revelation last year in December. This June, I thought that after 6 months of riding, it is about time to change the fork seals, so I contacted the Sram distributor to buy some fork seals. What I get in reply is : The distributor does not stock and sell any fork parts to any customers, all suspension has to be taken back to the distributor for any service, including changing fork seals. They said that it was to protect the warranty. OK, fine, so I ask them how much and how long would it take for my fork to be serviced, they told me $480HKD, that's about $60USD and 7 business days! This was totally unacceptable, so I of course didn't do the service.

So, now, after nearly two months, my negative air chamber started to lose air pressure overnight, I send the fork back to the distributor, they told me that the had never serviced the fork since it was bought back in December 2009, that's already 6 months, so that it means that they can actually reject my warranty claim, but they will MERCIERFULLY do it this time, but they warn me that if I want to keep my warranty, I have to send the fork back to service at least 50 hours of riding.
Call SRAM. The distributor has lied to you several times.

·
B A N N E D
5,305 Posts
I think your local dealer has been telling you porkys.

Product Manual: http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95-4015-023-000%20Suspension%20Fork%20-%20Rev%20C.pdf

What is said about Maintenance & Warranty in it:

Maintenance
To maintain the high performance, safety, and long life of your front suspension, it is required that you periodically check the fastener torque values for compliance as well as perform routine maintenance on your fork. If you ride in extreme conditions, torque compliance checks and maintenance should be performed more frequently.
We recommend any service be performed by a qualified bicycle mechanic. To obtain service information or instructions, visit our website at www.sram.com, www.rockshox.com, or contact your local RockShox dealer or distributor.

Maintenance Type & Interval (hours)
Inspect carbon crown-steerer: Every ride
Clean dirt and debris from upper tubes: Every ride
Check air pressure (air forks only): Every ride
Inspect upper tubes for scratches: Every ride
Lubricate dust seals and upper tubes: Every ride
Change Speed Lube oil bath: 25 hrs
Check front suspension fasteners for proper torque: 25 hrs
Clean and lubricate remote lockout cable and housing: 25 hrs
Remove lowers, clean/inspect bushings and change oil bath (if applicable) 50 hrs
Clean and lubricate air spring assembly: 50 hrs
Change oil in damping system (including hydraulic lockout): 100 hrs
Clean and lubricate coil spring assembly (coil forks only): 100 hrs

SRAM LLC Warranty

Extent of Limited Warranty
SRAM warrants its products to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for a period of two years after original purchase. This warranty only applies to the original owner and is not transferable. Claims under this warranty must be made through the retailer where the bicycle or the SRAM component was purchased. Original proof of purchase is required.

Local law
This warranty statement gives the customer specific legal rights. The customer may also have other rights which vary from state to state (USA), from province to province (Canada), and from country to country elsewhere in the world.
To the extent that this warranty statement is inconsistent with the local law, this warranty shall be deemed modified to be consistent with such law, under such local law, certain disclaimers and limitations of this warranty statement may apply to the customer. For example, some states in the United States of America, as well as some governments outside of the United States (including provinces in Canada) may:
a. Preclude the disclaimers and limitations of this warranty statement from limiting the statutory rights of the consumer (e.g. United Kingdom).
b. Otherwise restrict the ability of a manufacturer to enforce such disclaimers or limitations.

Limitations of Warranty
This warranty does not apply to products that have been incorrectly installed and/or adjusted according to the respective SRAM technical installation manual. The SRAM installation manuals can be found online at www.sram.com, www.RockShox.com, or www.avidbike.com. This warranty does not apply to damage to the product caused by a crash, impact, abuse of the product, non-compliance with manufacturers specifications of usage or any other circumstances in which the product has been subjected to forces or loads beyond its design.
This warranty does not apply when the product has been modified.
This warranty does not apply when the serial number or production code has been deliberately altered, defaced or removed.
This warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear. Wear and tear parts are subject to damage as a result of normal use, failure to service according to SRAM recommendations and/or riding or installation in conditions or applications other than recommended.

Wear and tear parts are identified as:
• Dust seals • Bushings • Air sealing o-rings • Glide rings • Rubber moving parts • Foam rings • Rear shock mounting hardware and main seals • Upper tubes (stanchions) • Stripped threads/bolts (aluminium, titanium, magnesium or steel) • Brake sleeves • Brake pads • Chains • Sprockets • Cassettes • Shifter and brake cables (inner and outer) • Handlebar grips • Shifter grips • Jockey wheels • Disc brake rotors • Wheel braking surfaces • Bottom out pads • Bearings • Bearing races • Pawls • Transmission gears • Tools

This warranty shall not cover damages caused by the use of parts of different manufacturers.
This warranty shall not cover damages caused by the use of parts that are not compatible, suitable and/
or authorised by SRAM for use with SRAM components.
This warranty shall not cover damages resulting from commercial (rental) use.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. I know exactly what is in the product menu and understand 100% that I can actually service my own fork. I just want to share what my local Hong Kong distributor is doing here and want to get the attention of Sram and improve the situation here in Hong Kong.

Because I just know a few buddies who are very new to the sport and think it is reasonable to be charged $60USD for a dust seals change, as the are fooled to believed that it is an mission impossible for them by the local distributor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts