I need a 29’er wheelset with xd driver .. boost 148

Needs to take 29x 4 tires

For 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm guessing you mean 29x2.4. Almost any wheel with an ID from 25-30mm will work well with those tires (and you don't need to get anything with a larger ID because the Tallboy 3 won't fit larger than 2.4" tires).

Personally I started with a cheap Mercury wheelset from Competitive Cyclist on my TB3 (about 30mm ID, alloy rims, XD driver with 54T engagement). Nothing to write home about but they worked well for me for about 1 year. I replaced them with some BTLOS carbon wheels (a bit narrower at 26.5mm ID, but a lot lighter). I like these wheels a lot, but again, there are literally dozens of wheels that fit your criteria. Are you looking for cheap, light, bomb-proof? (choose at most 2)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm guessing you mean 29x2.4. Almost any wheel with an ID from 25-30mm will work well with those tires (and you don't need to get anything with a larger ID because the Tallboy 3 won't fit larger than 2.4" tires).

Personally I started with a cheap Mercury wheelset from Competitive Cyclist on my TB3 (about 30mm ID, alloy rims, XD driver with 54T engagement). Nothing to write home about but they worked well for me for about 1 year. I replaced them with some BTLOS carbon wheels (a bit narrower at 26.5mm ID, but a lot lighter). I like these wheels a lot, but again, there are literally dozens of wheels that fit your criteria. Are you looking for cheap, light, bomb-proof? (choose at most 2)
I was looking second hand to be honest but if I have to spend new I don't wanna go over $600 if possible

I need xd right? Sram won't fit GX right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
10,924 Posts
That is a pretty great deal. I've been totally happy with DT350 hubs on another wheel set I own and 1790g is a decent weight for an alloy set.
+1, the hubset alone is more than the cost of those wheels. 28h ain't enduro proof, but they'll work if you're not a clyde or a clod.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I need xd right? Sram won't fit GX right?
You need Xd freehub body if you want to run a 10t(Sram, garbaruk) or 9t(e13) small cassette cog.
If you don't have that yet, think hard about switching now. Switching later means buying a new freehub body.
The smaller (than 11t) cog cassettes are lighter(unsprung weight!) and offer the potential of larger gear range if youso desire. If you don't need the larger gear range you get weight saving and more clear ge from the ground for the big cog/derailleur

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.