Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock ones are loosing grip and I live in South Florida and mostly offride on hard packed dirt, gravel, loose sand and also roots. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The stocks are S-Works The Captain 26x2.0", 120 TPI, tubeless ready aramid bead, dual compound

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's hard to recommend tires since everyone has different preferences and riding conditions. That being said, I actually own both of the tires that the previous two people recommended (Panaracer Fire XC Pro & Spesh Resolution Pro D2). I ride mostly single track in wooded areas with a lot of hardpack, loose dirt, and roots. I prefer the Panaracers since they have slightly better grip and it feels like they have lower rolling resistance. If I were to do more jumps and drop offs i'd probably switch to the Resolutions since they are heftier. But like i said, it might be different for your needs/conditions.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
do they still make the resolution?? i thought the captain replaced them last year? i had resolutions on my xc and loved them, great grip great rolling with a good sidewall, on my 09 SJ im using maxis minion 2.35 dual ply downhill tires, theyre heavy but i can corner like im on rails and have zero flats, zero problems

·
turtles make me hot
11,752 Posts
I have Captains and so far, they seem like a good all around tire. On Long Island, I ride hardpack, sand, roots and right now, snow.
My buddy's riding on Kenda Nevagals and swears by them. He goes on the same rides I do.

·
jcard14
154 Posts
I am a fellow South Florida rider and I am now on my 3rd set of Maxxis Crossmarks. They are really fast and surprisingly sticky in the corners for being so fast. Perfect for Oleta and Markham. They have both a UST and non-UST, I ride the non-UST's with Stans/tubeless, I love them!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just installed a pair of Kenda excavators on my stumpy. The center tread is way hard compared to the captains that came off the bike so they should be pretty long lasting. I had to replace the captains because they just didn't hold up well at all to the rocks of south western UT but I can say they sure had great grip compared to the new excavators. I read quite a few positive review of the excavators so I thought I'd give em a try, not so good on slickrock.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got in the Panaracer Fire XC pro. Is there an easy way to determine tread direction for put them on the front and rear. I assume as it has a front and rear on the tire the front will be facing front and then the rear will be facing front?

·
Registered
239 Posts
gigabyte772 said:
Just got in the Panaracer Fire XC pro. Is there an easy way to determine tread direction for put them on the front and rear. I assume as it has a front and rear on the tire the front will be facing front and then the rear will be facing front?
There are arrows on the sidewall telling you which direction it should spin for the front and rear placement.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you want to recycle those old Captain 26x2.0" You can send them to me. I wont charge a disposal fee, they will be put to good use and will stay out of the land fill.
RIDE AND RECYCLE

·
Registered
50 Posts
oh please, Gigabyte, don't listen to the talk about Resolutions. They were replaced by the Eskar. I ride the Eskars and the Captains and they are both great. And the weight of the eskar are ONLY slightly heavier. Resolutions, Panaracers, hah !!!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
srmtbiker79 said:
oh please, Gigabyte, don't listen to the talk about Resolutions. They were replaced by the Eskar. I ride the Eskars and the Captains and they are both great. And the weight of the eskar are ONLY slightly heavier. Resolutions, Panaracers, hah !!!!!
Captains are great. I ride hard pack almost all the time.
Im 180lb and run my Captains at 25-32 PSI. Try adjusting you PSI and come back and tell us what you think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.