Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this last night on my night ride on the windgate pass trail. I've seen all kind of critters in my 20 years in the desert but never saw this one before!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
nsavarirayan said:
Saw this last night on my night ride on the windgate pass trail. I've seen all kind of critters in my 20 years in the desert but never saw this one before!
Black Widow
 

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
Joined
·
2,587 Posts
onemission said:
I stayed in a hotel in the CA desert once years ago and woke up with one of those in my BED! Disgusting.
that will teach you not to drink so much,, im sure it looked attractive when you first took it home...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Saw one of those things the other night and about sh** myself when it flung up off my tire. I've been wondering what the heck it was ever since. Great pic!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
longhairmike said:
that will teach you not to drink so much,, im sure it looked attractive when you first took it home...
haha. It was the best looking creature Ive had in bed for a while. :madman:
 

·
Team Tortuga
Joined
·
247 Posts
I know we have talked about these before. We rode DC last night and encountered two of them and these things are nuts! They will flat out turn around and chase you. Not knowing what they were and if they were poisonous or not we just got out of their way. Does anyone know anyone who may have been bitten by one of these things?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
they're taking over the planet

I was out at Hawes last night, I saw tons of those things on saguaro, and they were big and fast!...They were pushing 2in in length, and running all over. Tons=about 6. I never encountered so many before..

Usually I see more scorpions this time of year...Must be "bug of the month". Last year was rattle snakes, haven't seen any of those this year.
 

·
nodejitsu
Joined
·
345 Posts
crAZy Irish said:
I know we have talked about these before. We rode DC last night and encountered two of them and these things are nuts! They will flat out turn around and chase you. Not knowing what they were and if they were poisonous or not we just got out of their way. Does anyone know anyone who may have been bitten by one of these things?
they are harmless
 

·
slow uphill
Joined
·
570 Posts
crAZy Irish said:
I know we have talked about these before. We rode DC last night and encountered two of them and these things are nuts! They will flat out turn around and chase you. Not knowing what they were and if they were poisonous or not we just got out of their way. Does anyone know anyone who may have been bitten by one of these things?
I've heard that they look for dark ground, so if you catch them with a bit of moonlight or near lights at night, and you have a shadow, they will scurry to get to the shadow. It looks like they are pissed and hellbent on getting you, but they are after the shadow you're throwing off.
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
Cute bugger.... bugs are so cool. I was playing with one of those monster Palo Verde Beetles at an outside party recently, just to freak people out, then read later that they like to chomp and hang on with their monster pinchers. Taught me to know my bugs before handling! So I can't see the youtube from work... is the Wind Spider/Scorpion really harmless?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
phxKokopelli said:
This is part of the solfugid family - also called sun spider, wind scorpion, wind spider, camel spider - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae
"Vanado Muerte" in espanol - "deer killer" You are correct on the family. the largest jaws per body size of any land animal. F. with it with a stick - the jaws work 4-way. the ones in baja are HUGE! - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top