Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my wife want to start riding together and we need bikes, and being married with kids we need the best bang for the buck

My biking history, i rode alot in south korea and blew out a stock trek front shock i have no idea what shock it was but it was a 600 trek in 2011...so what ever that is, that's my ability level. I easily can ride for 4 hours + at a time dh + climbs + technical stuff like rocks and roots

My wife is a fairly good Dirt bike trail rider, and she has played around on dirtjumps but nothing big at all. Never really road MTB but wants to get into it.

some bikes im looking at

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Dawes Haymaker 1000

Save Up to 60% Off 27.5 / 650B Mountain Bikes Up to 60% Off - MTB - Motobecane 329HT

Save Up to 60% Off Mountain Bikes - MTB - Dawes Haymaker 1500

let me know what people think, and if they have any experience with lower price point bikes

thank you much

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Find some used Giant Reign or even Trance, Cannondale Prophet, many more to list but start there. It would be a better start. Decent deal is about 600-800. You are doing jumping, you need dependable suspension system. Riding on paved road or fireroad, bike on your list may be ok.

Stick with big brands til you know the sport, you'd only buy thing once.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am wanting to buy a bike and not do a used bike hunt, also I listed 300-500 bikes and i cant find the bikes you listed less then 1k used. I need the best bike for the $ and just something so we can start. I planed on having to replace the shock with a low end Fox or Marzocchi if/when that time comes. I also know that gt, cannondale and scoot also use cheap 125$ Suntur shocks on even 800 bikes so im not so sure that big brands necessarily mean good components. an example of what im talking about
Cannondale Trail 4 Bike - 2014 at REI.com like that bike is still using a cheap suntur shock and is 849......http://www.amazon.com/SR-Suntour-XCR-Remote-Lockout/dp/B00GRUR5S2/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1394825387&sr=1-2&keywords=SR+Suntour+XCR-RL-26

Amazon.com: 2014 SR Suntour XCR MTB Bike Fork RLC (26", 1 1/8", Disc Brake, Remote Lockout, 100mm, White): Sports & Outdoors

just seams like a nice name with a **** shock, i know it has hydrolic breaks and better rim set and hubs but does it make it a good bike worth 850 when it still has a shitty shock, imo the shock is the most important let me know if im wrong

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.27.5.3/14833/66291/#specifications do have to give it to you that bike does seam really nice but its in no way in my price point even used

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
When you say DH, you meant riding up and down the hill or downhill riding as in a segment of mountain biking. Because you also mentioned that both you and your wife do dirt jumping.

XC hardtail is not going to hold up in a more extreme riding. If you are looking for something to ride on the xc trails then your original post should do the job fine.

When you start looking into full suspension stick with big brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk pro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
edit: basically i know i need well should be on Full suspension i just cant afford it, so what my best option at this point?

Diamndback Lux Sport 27.5 Women's Bike Black 2014 | Diamondback | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
that was another bike i was looking at, but does it warrent almost the 300$ more then the Dawes Haymaker 1000 or if i throw a 350 fox shock on the Dawes will it be a better bike then the Diamndback is stock?

also im 5foot2 and 125lbs and my wife is 4foot11 and is like 93lbs we are not big people and both are athletic, my point is i have no problem riding a womens bike if its the best deal

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
That's going to be another problem as big box brand like BikeDirect usually carry Small as the smallest size. You may best fit XS and your wife XXS. I'm Asian and around quite a few short riders, it seems to fit them right when it come to reach, not stand over. The good news is you both are skilled riders so you can handle bigger bike with no problems.

What type of riding are you planing to do? If you are doing freeride, DH, and DJ riding you need to look at different bikes altogether. Unless it's just a miss-wording and what you are doing is just XC type trail riding then a XC hardtail would fit the bill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to be honest when we ride together it will mostly be xc/single track with some little tech sections of roots and rocks and some DH, but nothing with big drops really mostly its flowy mid to high speed single track around me. I really wanted to build/buy a "fixey" i think is what people call it as a 2nd bike for dirt jumping so really I am looking at buying 3 bikes

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
You should be find with those HT.

Best bang for the bucks is definitely Used bike, but BikeDirect HT is not a bad option. It seems like you are more of an aggressive rider so 26" wheel would bring out the most fun. As the wheel gets bigger it slows down and stabilize the bike handling more which is some what opposite of what you want in a responsive bike. Like flying a fighter get and a 747.:)

One other thing you may want to look at is the AM HT, or DJ bike. Diamondback has some for not too expensive starting price. Another example is Cannondale Chase, there are some model that would let you put front and rear derailleurs. Just something you may have not thought about. This type of bike would sure withstand the abuse and extra load of landing. You don't strike me as a must have lighter bike over strength and performance type of guy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You might want to look at something like the specialized rockhopper. You can get them with a decent spec for under a grand, especially in the spring when bikeshops are holding sales to clear out last years inventory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.