Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forgive me for my ignorance. But I have never used tubless wheels before. Am a traditional tube and tire man. Although I hate fixing punctures. :D

I have just ordered a set of Mavic Crossmax SLs and Panaracer Fire Pro UST tires.

I am a bit perplexed about what happens if I hit a thorn or nail. Will the tyre deflate??? If so how do I manage to fix it seeing the tyre will have no tube inside.

Could someone kindly explain.

Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
KleinAttitude said:
Hi forgive me for my ignorance. But I have never used tubless wheels before. Am a traditional tube and tire man. Although I hate fixing punctures. :D

I have just ordered a set of Mavic Crossmax SLs and Panaracer Fire Pro UST tires.

I am a bit perplexed about what happens if I hit a thorn or nail. Will the tyre deflate??? If so how do I manage to fix it seeing the tyre will have no tube inside.

Thanks
If you are using the traditional UST rim and tire setup, you will get a flat. If you are using Stans or Eclipse the flat will seal. This link should help you out.

https://www.notubes.com/tubeless_test.php?osCsid=a5660965e6f9cd1322bebd0caec72a8f

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
It probably doesnt work as well as Stans but Specialized and Slime have both come out with sealants that can be used in tubeless tires. KA you will still want to carry a spare tube with you. Tubeless tires go flat just like regular tires. I tore the side wall out on a ride and all the goop inside was of no value. Tubeless tires also can be hard to get mounted without using compressed air.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
borregokid said:
It probably doesnt work as well as Stans but Specialized and Slime have both come out with sealants that can be used in tubeless tires. KA you will still want to carry a spare tube with you. Tubeless tires go flat just like regular tires. I tore the side wall out on a ride and all the goop inside was of no value. Tubeless tires also can be hard to get mounted without using compressed air.
So what happens when u get a flat?? Do you have to throw the tyre??

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Hutchinson makes a very good non-latex sealant for tubeless tires. Put it in and you may never know you have thorns in the tire. Cheaper than Stans and seals better.

If you do have a flat the tire can be patched. Panaracer makes a patch kit for UST. Many UST tires can be patched with a standard inner tube patch.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ryeder said:
Is that sealant available yet? What makes it seal better? Thicker? I've not had good luck with stan's and larger punctures.
It should be. They were selling it at Sea Otter. Called Protect'air Tubeless. It has fine fiberous solids in it and they claim it will seal up to a 3 mm hole. For use only in tubeless (UST) tires.

·
Registered
202 Posts
KleinAttitude said:

Thanks
I have been using UST (as opposed to a Stan's coversion kit) tubeless wheels and tires since 2001. If you hit a sharp enough thorn or nail, and are not running sealant, the tire can flat, just as a tubed one would. If you are running a sealant in the tire, and the hole is small enough to be filled, you will not get a flat, though you could lose some air before it seals. I have ridden a tire with multiple goathead punctures that Stan's latex sealant was able to successfully fill. I don't know about this new Hutch. sealant of which Shiggy speaks, but it sounds like it might be even better than Stan's, which has served me well.

Also, of course, it is much harder to get a pinch flat with a tubeless tire. At least, all other things being equal, a properly set up tubeless system should be much less likely to get flats, in general.

Though I have not had a flat of any kind in almost two years myself, I still carry around a tube and a normal patch kit for that tube should I suffer a flat that the sealant can't fix (assuming the tire is still rideable). I suggest that at least at first, you still carry a tube with you on rides in case of emergency. In the meantime, enjoy the other benefits of tubeless beyond flat protection, such as easier ability to run lower pressures.

I also have to gently disagree with borregokid on that point about using compressed air. I have mounted various tires from Conti, Hutch, WTB, and Kenda on my tubeless rims, and never with anything but a normal floor pump. Maybe some brands are worse to mount, but in my experience mounting tubeless tires is not hard even without compressed air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.