Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can someone explain suspension.

974 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  esquire 
#1 ·
I ride an ASR and was just reading on other forums how good a four bar is,however i notice a lot of 575 riders have tested a 5spot but bought the 575,therefore i supose the ASR and Burner are a direct comparison.
So how does a single pivot like the yeti's not bob/brake jack and pedal feed back like other s pivot bikes like trek/kona/RM Element all linkage bikes with the s pivot the same place as YETI
Im just going of mag reviews for that info tho
Im just interested.
Cheers

#2 ·
Blencathra said:
I ride an ASR and was just reading on other forums how good a four bar is,however i notice a lot of 575 riders have tested a 5spot but bought the 575,therefore i supose the ASR and Burner are a direct comparison.
So how does a single pivot like the yeti's not bob/brake jack and pedal feed back like other s pivot bikes like trek/kona/RM Element all linkage bikes with the s pivot the same place as YETI
Im just going of mag reviews for that info tho
Im just interested.
Cheers
As any Ventana (non-horst-llink) owner will tell you, "God is in the details". It is too easy to make a blanket statement that horst-link bikes are better then non-horst-link bikes. Variations in the geometry of otherwise similar designs makes a huge difference. With the availability if stable platform shocks, the design options are even greater.

I ride both a Turner XCE and a 575 and they are more similar than different. As for brake-jack, I am sure the Turner is less susceptible than the Yeti but it has not been a problem I have noticed in riding the 575.

Has brake jack been a problem you have noticed with the asr?

David

#3 ·
drjos said:
It is too easy to make a blanket statement that horst-link bikes are better then non-horst-link bikes. Variations in the geometry of otherwise similar designs makes a huge difference. With the availability if stable platform shocks, the design options are even greater.
David
Hear hear! These days, full suspension design is sorted. It's no longer like the old skanky days of the mid/late '90s, where shonky designs were being trumpeted by marketing departments all over the shop.

Aside from supermarket bikes (even they have their place), most full suspension bikes do the job. Some do it in a slightly different way to others. So long as you don't expect the unrealistic, like big DH performance from as 3" travel bike, you'll find 90% of bikes do the job well and you'll get used to the subtle differences. Brake jack has as much or more to do with fork dive as it does rear suspension design.

Construction, spec, reputation - even colour - are all variables you should be taking into consideration along side suspension type.

idiot

#4 ·
completely agree

I agree with the above posts, the devil is in the details. Its not enough just to throw single pivots into one category, as its not right to throw all "horst link" bikes into one category. I know some pretty hastily designed and horribly thought out horst link bikes that have come and gone in years past, as with single pivots.

Some people thought the single pivot was dead when the latest round of VPP bikes and horst bikes started their popularity, but the advent of the tuneable shocks, spv dampening, and companies like 5th element, who have been doing motocross shocks for years now, got into the game, it gave single pivots new life. By tuning the shock to resist, in the early part of the stroke, pedal induced frequency, and still be suceptible and pliant to bumps, they have really made single pivots climb with greater efficiency. The 575 uses a design that, combined with spv dampening in either the RP3 or the 5th Air, resists pedal induced bob through air pressure and valving, but at the same time, increasing the leverage ratio through design, as the bike gets into its travel a bit more. This is why the 575 feels bottomless at times. At 225 pounds, I was very skeptical of an air shock, especially the 5th, and the fact that there hadn't been a single pivot bike out there that I didn't experience chain growth on, and thus hurt pedalling efficiency. This is the only single pivot that I can truly say I haven't experienced that with, once the 5th was tuned for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.