Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to make sure that my spoke lengths are correct. I'm looking at Bontrager Mustang offset non-disc rims. The disc version is not available at the moment. They told me 596 ERD. Spoke holes are 2mm offset from center. Weight (doesn't really matter) is 465g.

I was originally going with Salsa Delgados, but I found out they're pinned, not welded. I was highly recommended to not use a pinned rim.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
gregk said:
I just want to make sure that my spoke lengths are correct. I'm looking at Bontrager Mustang offset non-disc rims. The disc version is not available at the moment. They told me 596 ERD. Spoke holes are 2mm offset from center. Weight (doesn't really matter) is 465g.

I was originally going with Salsa Delgados, but I found out they're pinned, not welded. I was highly recommended to not use a pinned rim.
Has anybody at least measured the ERD? I wish the Bontrager website actually listed some useful information (it used to)...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're gonna love this...

So I called Bontrager today and talked to somebody about these rims. They told me the ERD is 603. The guy I talked to yesterday said 596. Same part number. Mustang, 29", offset, non-disc. I'm thinking I'll have to get the rims in my hands and measure it manually before I order spokes... Thanks, Bontrager!

·
Your bike sucks
2,558 Posts
GregK,

I eventually used 603 as the ERD for the non-disk non-offset version and everything worked out well.

I was given the wrong ERD originally (catalog info?) and (of course) my spokes were too short. No biggie but a small PITA.

My build is 32H 3X w/ XT disk hubs & 14/15 DTs and they are bomber. About 2K on the wheels and I haven't even trued em' after the initial(err, 2nd)build.

I suspect the 596 is the ERD for the disk only version.

Cheers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carl Mega said:
GregK,

I eventually used 603 as the ERD for the non-disk non-offset version and everything worked out well.

I was given the wrong ERD originally (catalog info?) and (of course) my spokes were too short. No biggie but a small PITA.

My build is 32H 3X w/ XT disk hubs & 14/15 DTs and they are bomber. About 2K on the wheels and I haven't even trued em' after the initial(err, 2nd)build.

I suspect the 596 is the ERD for the disk only version.

Cheers.
Thanks Carl. Any idea how much the offset is? I think I read somewhere on here 2.5mm, but the guy at Bontrager told me 2mm yesterday (I forgot to ask again today).

·
Your bike sucks
2,558 Posts
gregk said:
Thanks Carl. Any idea how much the offset is? I think I read somewhere on here 2.5mm, but the guy at Bontrager told me 2mm yesterday (I forgot to ask again today).
The difference in offset between 2.0 and 2.5 doesn't change the spoke length in a meaningful way - .1 of a mm tops. I just ran it through spocalc. Rounding to the nearest millimeter resulted in the same spoke length regardless.

Cheers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mustang disk OSB's

gregk said:

Just built up a set of Disk OSB's, and had to wait till they arrived to get the specs. I too called everyone and his brother, but didn't have any luck. Anyway the specs on the rims were 599 ERD, 23 OD / 17 ID, with double eyelets. I measured the offset at 3.5 mm.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.