Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always heard that if you use a rear coil shock, you should use a coil fork. I'm currently running a Fox Vanilla 125 on my Id, but it's time for a new fork. I'm thinking about a TALAS but wanted to see if anyone is running it on their Id with a Romic.....and get their impressions....

Also, if someone wants to dispell my air/coil theory, I welcome the suggestions...

Thx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
Persomal Preference

mbexx said:
I've always heard that if you use a rear coil shock, you should use a coil fork. I'm currently running a Fox Vanilla 125 on my Id, but it's time for a new fork. I'm thinking about a TALAS but wanted to see if anyone is running it on their Id with a Romic.....and get their impressions....

Also, if someone wants to dispell my air/coil theory, I welcome the suggestions...

Thx
/

There is no hard and fast rule. Some may tell you that you should try to balance the front and rear suspension types. That must mean that hardtails are right out.

I'm currently riding 2 FS bikes. One is coil / coil and the other is coil front, air rear. They're both great. AIr forks and shocks are getting better year by year. Air still isn't quite as plush as coil and when it comes to jumps and drops, I'd always vote for coil.

Personally, I don't like air forks, so it's easy for me to decide.

Why do you want to switch from a Vanilla to a Talas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blue Shorts said:
/

There is no hard and fast rule. Some may tell you that you should try to balance the front and rear suspension types. That must mean that hardtails are right out.

I'm currently riding 2 FS bikes. One is coil / coil and the other is coil front, air rear. They're both great. AIr forks and shocks are getting better year by year. Air still isn't quite as plush as coil and when it comes to jumps and drops, I'd always vote for coil.

Personally, I don't like air forks, so it's easy for me to decide.

Why do you want to switch from a Vanilla to a Talas?
Good info, thanks. I'm in agreement, this is my first coil and the ride quality is much better than my previous air forks (SIDS, Marzocchi X-fly). I love the vanilla, but have started to have problems with it. Getting very noisy, not holding oil. I'm spending more time servicing it than riding it. Ironic I'd be looking at another Fox, but I do love the fork when it's working properly...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
I don't blame you

mbexx said:
Good info, thanks. I'm in agreement, this is my first coil and the ride quality is much better than my previous air forks (SIDS, Marzocchi X-fly). I love the vanilla, but have started to have problems with it. Getting very noisy, not holding oil. I'm spending more time servicing it than riding it. Ironic I'd be looking at another Fox, but I do love the fork when it's working properly...
I also had a Vanilla, but the noise that it made had me wanting to throw the fork off of a cliff. I traded it in for a ZFRl......it's a great fork.

Seriously, if you like coils and are not a weight weenie, try a Z1FR. It's a great fork. Also, the 2005 Vanilla looks and feels good. The compression ring noticably changes the compression circuit.......unlike the worthless compression of the 2002-2004 vanillas.

If you want to go air.....try the new Fox Float 130. It's not as good as coil, but it's the best air fork that I've tried.
 

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
mbexx said:
I've always heard that if you use a rear coil shock, you should use a coil fork. I'm currently running a Fox Vanilla 125 on my Id, but it's time for a new fork. I'm thinking about a TALAS but wanted to see if anyone is running it on their Id with a Romic.....and get their impressions....

Also, if someone wants to dispell my air/coil theory, I welcome the suggestions...

Thx
Don't do it, you will die. Someday.

Monte
 

·
I don't do PC
Joined
·
7,401 Posts
I think the Talas has more of a linear spring rate like coil forks so it should feel good with the Romic, I ran a Float fork with a Romic on my Truth and thought the ride was nice and balanced
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top