Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to mountain biking and am looking to upgrade my wheels on a 2008 Stumpy Expert. The front wheel has a 9mm QR and the back has a standard size (i.e. smaller) QR. Does this mean I cannot purchase wheels with hubs that have different width QRs?

Also, if I change my stem do I have to purchase a torque wrench to do it myself? I have carbon bars and am going to a Thomson X4 and obviously don't want to overtighten.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Upgrading your wheels is dependant on the fork & frame dropouts. For your bike its 9x100 in front and 10x135mm in back. So you need 26 inch rims with hubs that are 9x100 in front and 10x135mm in back (standard sizes). The diameter of some skewers often called thru bolts are a larger diameter than a standard skewer which is 5mm through the endcaps. Hence, a dt swiss rws 9x100 front thru-bolt is 9mm in diameter, but not longer than 100mm. You may find depending on your weight and riding style a thru-bolt setup more stiff. Hopefully this info helps.

Ideally yes, if you overtighten the stem on carbon bars or unevenly, the stem can dig into the bar or cause stress risers..

Welcome to mountain biking!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your help. I am a 45 year old woman and I weigh 135 and ride XC (limited drops) so I don't think I stress the bike as much as someone larger. I think that means the QRs will be adequate. Trying to make up in suspension and light weight what my older joints can't absorb! ;) Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.