Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have been doing research on some quality pedals for my bike and I like what I have been learning about the Spank Spikes or the DMR Vaults. They will be going on a 29er that I am putting riser bars and more comfortable seat to make it more of a comfort style bike for riding around the neighborhood with the family. I was wondering that since I will be doing a lot of stop-and-go type of riding, if these type of pedals would be TOO grippy and more difficult getting my foot off of them? I realize the pedals are made more for a DH application, but prefer to buy quality when I can. Any advice with those who have experience with either of these pedals would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! -- Tim

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I guess if super grippy is not what yer after..I too have to lift my shoe off..even to reposition a bit..but once I'm in my sweetspot i'm good. I'm diggin the super grip..but I'm 95%dirt ..5% is for sixpack runs :)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Quality is one thing, buying the wrong pedal for the application is something else. If you're biking around the neighborhood with your family, just get some regular pedals and they will serve you fine.

As for grip, yes platform pedals can seem too grippy, but in relaxed riding as you describe, it will not be difficult to get your foot off: just lift and that's it. When people adjust grip on their platforms, it's because their technique allows them to stay on (when desired) with less grip, but in a tight spot they want to be able to bail out more easily. That can mean a technical spot, awkward position, rider about to fall and a split-second time window to get off the pedals. None of this applies to what you describe.

So if you do get the DH pedals anyways, try them out as they are first. You might find that they are not difficult at all in your use.

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
These Wellgo B143 pedals from CRC are good for lots of different riding and the stubby pins have advantages. They won't scrape your shins and you can use trailrunners with them. The sharp pinned flats work better with 5.10s and will tear up runners. You can unstick easier from these too.
Until the 18th CRC ships everything free to the US. These are $62.
Wellgo CNC Platform B143 Flat Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles
The second picture set shows a extra thin Azonic Flatiron I use. It has stubby pins and a second set of sharpies. Jenson has them for 125 after the $10 of 100 code. I like to use Asics trailrunners. One bike has old Walmart pedals with short cast pins. The runners stick fine to those just the same using the low heels technique.

Attachments

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Not true, I have saint pedals and 5.10 Freerider VXI (flat center sole). My center pins are long all the rest are short, I have just enough float for my knees not to hurt. And they never slip. You can play with pin size and amount and get as much grip as you want.
I guess ymmv. I have a few twenty6, shimano DX, and a cheapo no name. Pairing them up with anyone of my 5.10 still offer no float. I do ride heavy.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Absolutely zero float would be impossible to achieve (and the shoes would have to be so tight they cut off circulation), but you really can't compare the float of a clipless pedal and flat pedal no matter how you arrange the pins.

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
Quality is one thing, buying the wrong pedal for the application is something else. If you're biking around the neighborhood with your family, just get some regular pedals and they will serve you fine.
Totally agree. Spending $100 on pedals to putt around with is silly and you'd be just throwing away money for no good reason.

I can guarantee that there are people doing things on these cheapy pedals that are far beyond anything you'll ever consider attempting. As long as you're not riding in a lot of wet conditions (they can get a little slippery) this is all you'll ever need.

On Sale Colony Fantastic Plastic BMX Pedals Black/Red 9/16in

·
Registered
352 Posts
Absolutely zero float would be impossible to achieve (and the shoes would have to be so tight they cut off circulation), but you really can't compare the float of a clipless pedal and flat pedal no matter how you arrange the pins.
I can :) my previous pedals were eggbeaters, lots of float, my backup pedals are some wellgo, no float at all. Saints, on the other hand, with my current pin arrangement have some float, not as much as eggbeaters, but enough for me. I guess it has to do something with flat sole of Freerider VXI and long center pins. You dont need to lift you shoe for the side pins to disengage, just stop pushing and you can rotate your foot abit on center pins.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
I can :) my previous pedals were eggbeaters, lots of float, my backup pedals are some wellgo, no float at all. Saints, on the other hand, with my current pin arrangement have some float, not as much as eggbeaters, but enough for me. I guess it has to do something with flat sole of Freerider VXI and long center pins. You dont need to lift you shoe for the side pins to disengage, just stop pushing and you can rotate your foot abit on center pins.
Well, that's interesting. Not sure if I'd do the same but I can see the pic. Other than that it's defeating the purpose of having flats nowadays. Sticky and zero float is part of the deal:)

·
EMBA MTB Lead Instructor
957 Posts
I run Shimano DX's with 5.10's on one bike and I get absolutely zero float. I literally have to take my foot off the pedal to readjust. But I have Straitline Amps on another bike that have a little float, and I can twist my foot back and forth if needed.

·
Registered
757 Posts
With high pins on my platform pedals I have actually gone from skate shoes to a light treaded hiking shoe.

I like being able to easily re-position my foot and still get enough of a grip. With the skate shoes there was no movement, plus now I get a better grip if I have to hoof it.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.