Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new external gxp bb cups. I found a set on craigslist but they are road cups. Is there any difference? Can I use these with my mountain cranks? Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I doubt it. Most of the road and mountain cranks have different length spindles because a road bike is much narrower at the chainstays.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Truvative road cups are shallower. The plastic sleeve that goes inside the bb shell to keep the bearings clean will not quite be long enough. You could certainly use the cups without the plastic sleeve, keeping in mind you still need to run a Truvative crankset. The downside to this is your bearings will get contaminated more easily from the inside if your bb shell has any interior openings.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I just called Truvativ. They said there is no reason I can't use road cups on the mtb cranks as long as the spindle is longer than the bb shell. So as long as the cups aren't 68 and my shell isn't 73, then I should be ok. Thanks again.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
The GXP external BBs are the same for Road and MTB with the exception of the dust seals as mentioned. I assume you are refering to GXP since nearly all Truvativ road cranks are GXP...unless they are press-fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts