Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After opening a new pair of Elixir (the rear brake islack, the front is silver....:rolleyes: ) I saw that the front brake had the 203mm adapter for IS, and I have a PM fork. I have a spare adapter for Shimano 8 inch rotor, can I use that, or do I need to use an Avid adapter?

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... silly question number two....

I've heard that most of the problems with the elixirs are because of the rotors, could I use the Magura Ventidiscs with the Elixir calipers and the cleansweep on the magura calipers? Would it matter or would it be like looking for the cat fifth leg?

·
GONE
26,887 Posts
That's a good question which I asked two of the bigger LBS's in my area.

The first one I asked said, yes, Avid and Shimano adapters are interchangable.

The second shop that they are not interchangable. It's a different design.

I took the advice of the second shop and purchased a Shimano adapter for my Shimano brakes...

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
You can use the Shimano adapters without issue. Been using them with both BB7's and Juicy 7's for over 3 years without issue. Elixers are no different.

ambassador..........

Avid 160 adapters and the 203 adapters are interchangeable with Shimano. The 185mm brackets are not. Avid is the only brake system that uses a 185mm rotor.

·
Plays with tools
4,650 Posts
frdfandc said:
You can use the Shimano adapters without issue. Been using them with both BB7's and Juicy 7's for over 3 years without issue. Elixers are no different.

ambassador..........

Avid 160 adapters and the 203 adapters are interchangeable with Shimano. The 185mm brackets are not. Avid is the only brake system that uses a 185mm rotor.
Take out the unnecessary alignment hardware and you are good on a 180 rotor. That hardware is nice for manufactures that can't seem to make parts right. Completely pointless for the other 98% of builders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.