Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes or no? Thanks

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I need to clear this up a bit. I bought a pair of pedals, shimano SPD 540. Can I use the sh55 multi release cleats with these pedals? Thank you!

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
forget it.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Why would you want to? The object of using clipin pedals is so that you'll only come out when you turn your foot a particular way. That way when you're going over really bumpy trails or hopping your foot won't inadvertantly come unclipped and send you sprawling. Now if you use multirelease cleats this can happen. So if you don't want to spend the time learning to use them properly just stick with some other retention system or platforms.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fred³ said:
Why would you want to? The object of using clipin pedals is so that you'll only come out when you turn your foot a particular way. That way when you're going over really bumpy trails or hopping your foot won't inadvertantly come unclipped and send you sprawling. Now if you use multirelease cleats this can happen. So if you don't want to spend the time learning to use them properly just stick with some other retention system or platforms.
Its not the time I worry about, its the crashing I do worry about. I thought they would be a good idea because I tend to panic when I try getting out. I read somewhere t6hey arte not compatible with 959's, so I guess they won't work with these either. Thanks for the reply. I guess I will stick with the stock ones with loose tension. I guess learning with the sh55 would make you learn sloppy instead of the right form. I just worry about going OTB clipped in.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Geist262 said:
Its not the time I worry about, its the crashing I do worry about. I thought they would be a good idea because I tend to panic when I try getting out. I read somewhere t6hey arte not compatible with 959's, so I guess they won't work with these either. Thanks for the reply. I guess I will stick with the stock ones with loose tension. I guess learning with the sh55 would make you learn sloppy instead of the right form. I just worry about going OTB clipped in.
I don't know too much about the multi-release cleat other then they designed to come out if pull up on them. To me that defeats the purpose of clipless pedals. Personally, I wouldn't use them.

We all worry about crashing when first start using clipless. If someone said they weren't, they're lying. The best advice I can give you is that, spend some time learning to unclip. Using a door for support get on your bike just clip and unclip. Do that for about 100 times for each leg. Once you master clipping in and out, ride around a grass field practice getting in and out of the pedals while you're moving. Getting in and out clipless pedals will eventually become second nature to you. You wouldn' even think about, you'll just do it.

BTW, you can do an endo accidentally unclipping from the pedals too. Take from me, that is not fun. It was probably one of the more painful accidents I had because I wasn't prepared for it. With most falls you see it coming, but not an accidentally unclip.<O:p</O:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts