Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Trail rider and racer
Joined
·
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

I was wondering if I could use Mavic UST Valves with my Eclipse kit. Basically the valves of my Eclipse system need replacing and I am looking for a quick work around solution to this.

Also what can one use as an alternative to the Eclipse double sided tape. One of my rims is missing this tape - and thus needs replacing. I assume the deal is to buy a new kit?

Cheers
Trevor!
 

·
Just passing through....
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
Trevor! said:
Hey people,

I was wondering if I could use Mavic UST Valves with my Eclipse kit. Basically the valves of my Eclipse system need replacing and I am looking for a quick work around solution to this.

Also what can one use as an alternative to the Eclipse double sided tape. One of my rims is missing this tape - and thus needs replacing. I assume the deal is to buy a new kit?

Cheers
Trevor!
I am planning to make my own from the valve stem of a Bontrager tube when I need a new one, because it is long, cheap, and has a removeable core. Just use 2 valve stem nuts, one for the inside, and one for the outside. Otherwise, I don't see why you couldn't use a Mavic UST stem. Do those have removeable cores?

As far as the double sided tape goes, I ruined the tape on one of my rims, so I used packing tape around the rim as in the homemade method, then spread Moldbuilder liquid latex on the back side of the tape with a small paintbrush (to act as the adhesive on the other side of the tape), then followed the directions from Eclipse just as though I had used their tape. Once the rimstrips were positioned (after going around the rim with the screwdriver blade as in the directions), I let the latex dry for a few hours. Just a quick fix that seemed to work well. I initially tried some double sided tape from the hardware store, but it really stuck too strong and was extremely difficult if not impossible to adjust the position of the rimstrip once it touched the tape.

But if there is a suggested substitute for the tape that comes with the kit, I too would be most appreciative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Trevor! said:
Hey people,

I was wondering if I could use Mavic UST Valves with my Eclipse kit. Basically the valves of my Eclipse system need replacing and I am looking for a quick work around solution to this.

Also what can one use as an alternative to the Eclipse double sided tape. One of my rims is missing this tape - and thus needs replacing. I assume the deal is to buy a new kit?

Cheers
Trevor!
I was going to suggest the same thing as Dafiremedic. I recently made my home made strip Eclipse style with strip and valve separate and I see no reason why this kind of valve would not work on an actual eclipse strip. After cutting the tube around the base of the valve, get an O-ring (mine was 'fix-a-tap' no.8), place it on the stem and just trim the base of the valve rubber so that it is no wider than the O-ring. I'd show a pic but it is keeping my NBX Lite inflated as we speak.

I wanted to ask though how do you know if a valve core is removable? I tried unscrewing a core out of some valve I had and the little shaft falls inside the tube as opposed to out. I'm assuming on removable core valves the whole assembly gets pulled the other way out. How does the unscrewing work on an actual removable core and how do you recognize them? Thanks in advance.
 

·
Just passing through....
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
Boj said:
I wanted to ask though how do you know if a valve core is removable? I tried unscrewing a core out of some valve I had and the little shaft falls inside the tube as opposed to out. I'm assuming on removable core valves the whole assembly gets pulled the other way out. How does the unscrewing work on an actual removable core and how do you recognize them? Thanks in advance.
With a removeable core, the sides of the core stick out above the stem and have flat sides to grip. When you unscrew the core it just comes out of the stem like a bolt would out of a threaded hole, leaving the stem hollow. If can pick up a Bontrager tube, these have them and you can see what it looks like. It makes it a lot easier to add latex solution, as you don't have to pull the bead of the tire away from the rim to add it, you just squirt it in through the valve stem.

If you try unscrewing the core from a regular valve stem, the top piece just breaks off. I know, i did it. If it doesn't unscrew fairly easily, its not removeable, and most aren't. At first, I though all valve cores were removeable since I started out using Bontrager tubes and didn't know any better. :D
 

·
Trail rider and racer
Joined
·
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW, thanks for the nice detailed replies. Its really appreciated!

The removable valve core is not an issue for me, as I have never filled my latex that way. I tend to switch and change tyres depending on what race or trail ride I am doing. I also find it a little slow to fill that way.

I may just try the DIY valves.

Thanks for the packing tape idea too - That should be fine, in fact I don't think I will use latex as a glue, I find the strip sits in quite tightly anyhow in my rims (Velocity VXC).

I feel like an idiot for braking 2 valve cores - I was being vary careless in a rush one day and thought it would be smart to use a tyre lever to push both valves out of my rim (They were sitting very tightly).........I forgot to screw the valves closes and damaged them. :eek:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
get spare parts here...

hey Trevor,
you can get any spare part direct from Eclipse:
http://tubelesskit.com/onlineshop.html

why do you want new valves anyway? you can unscrew the one you have there and clean it! just take out the complete valve interior using that valve tool you got from Eclipse. unscrew the tiny nut that sits above which you open/close when inflating.usually it comes to a stop when you open it but using some pliers you can force it to unscrew completely.then you can take out that thin internal piece where the latex is sticking on and clean it. re-assemble - ready!

a 1 minute job.

don't start "homemade"-style as usually this will lead to system failures.
 

·
Trail rider and racer
Joined
·
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nino said:
hey Trevor,
you can get any spare part direct from Eclipse:
http://tubelesskit.com/onlineshop.html

why do you want new valves anyway? you can unscrew the one you have there and clean it! just take out the complete valve interior using that valve tool you got from Eclipse. unscrew the tiny nut that sits above which you open/close when inflating.usually it comes to a stop when you open it but using some pliers you can force it to unscrew completely.then you can take out that thin internal piece where the latex is sticking on and clean it. re-assemble - ready!

a 1 minute job.

don't start "homemade"-style as usually this will lead to system failures.
Thanks Nino.

I didn't realise Eclipse had an online shop. I will take a look and see what they have on offer.

I still think the Eclipse kit is far superior over Stans, I much prefer the whole stip idea, but they need to improve the sealant. I prefer Stans sealant much more :)

Trevor!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
48,237 Posts
DaFireMedic said:
... If you try unscrewing the core from a regular valve stem, the top piece just breaks off. I know, i did it. If it doesn't unscrew fairly easily, its not removeable, and most aren't. At first, I though all valve cores were removeable since I started out using Bontrager tubes and didn't know any better. :D
Not all Bonti tubes have removable cores. None of mine do.
Conti and Schwalbe tubes do have removable valve cores.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
well...

there seems a tie between the sealants as we got to hear only complaints about Stans sealant...anyway - Eclipse has an improved sealant in the pipeline and should present it at the upcoming Eurobike in Friedrichshafen / Germany (biggest bike-show on the world).
 

·
Just passing through....
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
shiggy©®™ said:
Not all Bonti tubes have removable cores. None of mine do.
Conti and Schwalbe tubes do have removable valve cores.
I didn't know that, thanks. The ones I use are the standard ones at my LBS, the plain wrapped 26x1.75-2.35. I'll have to check out the Schwalbe and Conti tubes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
re: adding sealent to a valve

using a syringe works perfectly.

I used one from an old bleed kit and it was super easy - the sealent just blasted right in there.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top