Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have an Tracer, 2002 model and want to run a Vanilla Coil 165mm - 900lbs x 1.5 Shock. Would this be okay, will it damage the frame, or seat post???
Thanks.
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
Hicksville said:
Hello I have an Tracer, 2002 model and want to run a Vanilla Coil 165mm - 900lbs x 1.5 Shock. Would this be okay, will it damage the frame, or seat post???
Thanks.
It will fit. The 900# spring might be good for a very heavy rider, maybe over 225 lbs.

I'm 200 lbs plus gear and use a 700 spring on my Tracer with Vanilla-R.

Don't use too light a spring, it if bottoms a lot it can help accelerate the seat tower to fail.

Air is nearly impossible to bottom on the Tracer. I think these days I'd go with the new RP3 air shock if I was to upgrade from the original Float RL. Although my old style, non-propedal Vanilla-R is butter, and has required no maintenance except the normal bushing replacement in 3 years. A Fox tech said I should get the internal oil changed every year or two even without any obvious problems.

- ray
 

·
Trail Rider
Joined
·
914 Posts
I bought one for a backup shock when I send the Float in for service. I contacted Fox and they suggested #800 for a 185 lb rider without gear. I found it plusher than the Float RL that came on the frame. I was able to hit the black rubber stop a few times(bottom out). I didn't like the bouncy feel of the shock. I had to crank up the rebound dampning to get that to stop. I prefer the air shock for climbing. It is good for a backup or better yet, get the RP3 and keep the Float for a backup. I put an AVA sleeve on mine(Float) and get slightly more stroke on the shock.I get just over 4 in. of travel.
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
Quattro said:
I bought one for a backup shock when I send the Float in for service. I contacted Fox and they suggested #800 for a 185 lb rider without gear. I found it plusher than the Float RL that came on the frame. I was able to hit the black rubber stop a few times(bottom out). I didn't like the bouncy feel of the shock. I had to crank up the rebound dampning to get that to stop. I prefer the air shock for climbing. It is good for a backup or better yet, get the RP3 and keep the Float for a backup. I put an AVA sleeve on mine(Float) and get slightly more stroke on the shock.I get just over 4 in. of travel.
I must have a much more forward riding position than you. (WTB Laser seat adjusted on center of Thompson). I rarely if ever harshly bottom a 700# spring under my 200 lbs, rebound right in the middle of the range, I do use the bump stop sometimes, but that's OK by design. 750# spring is noticeably more bouncy and harsh, it also needs slower rebound. I don't do many larger jumps though, and only to rather smooth transition. I do notice most Tracer riders like firmer suspension than me, or platform shocks, which feel harsh to me too. Maybe I'm just off the scale weird!

- ray
 

·
Trail Rider
Joined
·
914 Posts
derby said:
I must have a much more forward riding position than you. (WTB Laser seat adjusted on center of Thompson). I rarely if ever harshly bottom a 700# spring under my 200 lbs, rebound right in the middle of the range, I do use the bump stop sometimes, but that's OK by design. 750# spring is noticeably more bouncy and harsh, it also needs slower rebound. I don't do many larger jumps though, and only to rather smooth transition. I do notice most Tracer riders like firmer suspension than me, or platform shocks, which feel harsh to me too. Maybe I'm just off the scale weird!

- ray
I hit the bumper when I was not doing a jump. I am off the seat when jumping(in back).
I have hit the bumper when at a slow to moderate speed in very rocky conditions. I felt the bumper hit and I might not have had my weight off the seat or something. I didn't like the feel of that. It was harsh and not like my Float. I do realize how conditions could be perfect for a broken frame even though they are not doing jumps or fast DH runs.

I'd probably like the coil shock on a 6 in. travel bike. I'm such a weight weenie that It bugs me just putting the coil shock on my Tracer (I'm such a weight weenie) . I'm going to get an air shock on the rear on my next longer travel frame.
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
Rp3

Quattro said:
I hit the bumper when I was not doing a jump. I am off the seat when jumping(in back).
I have hit the bumper when at a slow to moderate speed in very rocky conditions. I felt the bumper hit and I might not have had my weight off the seat or something. I didn't like the feel of that. It was harsh and not like my Float. I do realize how conditions could be perfect for a broken frame even though they are not doing jumps or fast DH runs.

I'd probably like the coil shock on a 6 in. travel bike. I'm such a weight weenie that It bugs me just putting the coil shock on my Tracer (I'm such a weight weenie) . I'm going to get an air shock on the rear on my next longer travel frame.
Having test ridden the RP3 recently, I'd get that now for my Tracer instead of a Vanilla-R (without pro-pedal), if I just had the original air shock that didn't get full use travel. I like light weight too.

Although one other advantage of a coil is it doesn't equalize air into the damper chamber so recharge intervals are much longer. My coil is still working like new after 3 years (except the common 6 month lower bushing change interval). A ti coil would be nearly as light as air, but getting the right spring would take some testing with steel coils for a while to know what weight works best.

You may ride harder than me too and need more spring.

- ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, the coil was a cheap replacement as the original FOX is pretty dead, the Tracer will become a third bike in a shortwhile , been a great bike and don't want to let it go so just need something effective, cost sensitive and operational, so it seems the Vanilla will do.
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I am around the 195-200 range....I prefer the heavier springs as well.....(when I use the vanilla).......as mentioned earlier it will depend on your riding postion....in relation to your frame size.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top