Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade an 07 Iron Horse Maverick 5.5 to 9speed. I'm not sure if the rear wheel can accommodate the larger 9 speed cassette. I'm really not crazy in upgrading my bike to 9speed but I can't find good shifters and front and rear derailleurs for my bike. If you guys can point me to a good make and brand please let me know.

This bike was just given to me and only thing it's missing are the shifters and derailleurs.

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
If you want to up grade to 9 spd all you have to do is change the cassette and shifters and you will be fine! The duraillers will work ok with that set up. What is on the bike now? If you have SRAM stick with their shifters. I recommend the x7 shifters as they are cheap and work great!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Is that Maverick a 7 speed or 8 speed? Currently are the shifters integrated with the brake levers? There is still some pretty good 7 and 8 speed shifters out there. Derailleurs will work for 7 - 9 speeds.

I think you need to give out more details about your current setup.

In general:
To upgrade from 8 to 9, you need a new cassette, new chain (not mentioned by ae111black), and new rear shifter.

To upgrade from 7 - 9, you'll need a new rear wheel, new cassette, new chain and new rear shifter.

·
Registered
332 Posts
since you're already missing the shifters and derailleurs just find the parts you want and include a 9 speed cassette in your order, as well as a 9 speed chain, given that it's currently an 8 speed. if you're planning on having an lbs do the work on the bike you could just take it in, tell them what you want done, and you should get it back just as you want it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oldskoolbiker said:
Is that Maverick a 7 speed or 8 speed? Currently are the shifters integrated with the brake levers? There is still some pretty good 7 and 8 speed shifters out there. Derailleurs will work for 7 - 9 speeds.

In general:
To upgrade from 8 to 9, you need a new cassette, new chain (not mentioned by ae111black), and new rear shifter.

To upgrade from 7 - 9, you'll need a new rear wheel, new cassette, new chain and new rear shifter.
Thanks for the reply everyone. The bike currently has an 8 speed cassette but it does not come with shifters and derailleurs. I'm still debating if I should upgrade to a 9 speed since parts are readily available or just stay with an 8 speed. If I can get good 8 speed shifters and derailleurs then I might just stay with 8 speed because I don't really see the need for the extra gear anyway. Thoughts?

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
QUOTE=oldskoolbiker]Is that Maverick a 7 speed or 8 speed? Currently are the shifters integrated with the brake levers? There is still some pretty good 7 and 8 speed shifters out there. Derailleurs will work for 7 - 9 speeds.

In general:

To upgrade from 7 - 9, you'll need a new rear wheel, new cassette, new chain and new rear shifter.[/QUOTE]

wouldn't that just be logical that you would need a 9 spd cassette..... I figured he would just know that........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts