Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if i can swap to disc brakes on my 08 diamondback reponse? it looks like theres holes for calipers but i dont know if the wheel will take a caliper?

And what would anyone recommend for some light to medium use trails?

·
Registered
249 Posts
The rotors mount to the hub, the calipers mount to the frame and fork. Most likely if it didnt come with disc brakes, the hubs won't be disc compatible requiring new hubs or wheel set. You would also need new cable if going to mechanical discs like the BB7's as your brake cables would be too short.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My friend has a 2007 Diamondback Response which came with V-Brakes and when we looked at the frame, I saw there is a rear IS mount and fork IS mount, but the hubs do not have the 6 disc screw holes. You'll most likely need a new wheelset/hubs to convert to disc IF the 2008 is the same as the 2007.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it his might be the Sorrento. My other friend has a Response with disk brakes (probably sport model). That being said I would just look at the hubs, frame, and fork for the holes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an 08 diamondback response and yes the frame and forks can mount disc brakes but the hubs that come standard on the bike will not accept rotors. You will have to switch out your hubs also if you want disc brakes. It could get expensive. I have another diamondback hybrid with disc brakes on it. Those lower end mechanical disc brakes (like the cheap Hayes models found on entry level bikes) are not all that they are cracked up to be. In most cases you will only notice the difference if you are riding in the rain. I would wait until you need to buy new rims/hubs before doing such an upgrade. Unless you know how to replace a hub and true the wheel yourself, then it won't be that expensive maybe just a little time consuming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.