Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tapered head tube. My bike came with 1-1/8 100mm travel Suntour XCR Air fork (with adapter). I found a very sweet deal on 120 mm travel Fox Float tapered fork. Should I get one? Is it ok to increase fork travel?

·
Registered
594 Posts
You should definitely be okay. Some companies will say it might void a warranty, other companies will say go for it, I only mention it if something like that matters to you.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,049 Posts
+20mm from stock is generally considered just fine. Often, better equipped versions of the same frame have that as an option anyway (not always). Plus, that amount won't throw off the handling so far that your bike starts to feel all wonky.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,049 Posts
The hub would work, yes. If you're trying to switch hubs on a wheel the odds are the spokes will be a different length and unless you're doing the rebuild yourself, many shops won't reuse spokes anyway. Add in labor and you're likely saving $$ by just selling the old wheel and buying a new one (or a nice used one).

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,248 Posts
Great. I just found out that I will need new front hub. Mine has very thin 5mm skewer. Should I buy new spokes? Or it is possible to use old ones? Did about 300 km on the wheels. Did some googling and opinions are mixed.

Also will this hub DT Swiss 350 Disc IS 6-Hole Hub 15 x 100mm FW 32L | Hub MTB 240S Shop work with Fox Float 32 15QR? Just want to make sure.
You might be better off buying something like this Shimano Custom Made Front Wheel 29" SLX 678 15x100 CL Disc/ DT Swiss 533D 32h | Wheel 29" Front Wheel Shop

Or this Shimano Custom Made Front Wheel 29" XT 788 15x100 CL Disc/ XM 319D 32h | Wheel 29" Front Wheel Shop instead, You will also probably need to get a new centerlock rotor if you use one of those options. If so some can be found here centerlock rotors Bike-Discount .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! That's what I did just now. I did not know that buying a new front wheel might be cheaper.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Do some research on the fork damper in your model. You may need a FIT damper and Gold oil swap to get good performance. Fox is supplying a FIT4 damper for all 2016 forks. You can get a deal by talking to the tech guys at Fox.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not sure about a deal since I am living in Russia. Probably they won't be willing to send it here. We do have places which service them though. I bought this one: Fox 32 Float 29" CTD Fit 120 Tapered QR15 | 29" Suspension fork Marathon (120-130mm) Shop
It marked as FIT, so I believe damper is good. Nothing about oil type in the description though. It is 2014 model.

BTW Should I bring it to a workshop for 0km service when I will receive one? I heard that sometimes manufacturers do not put enough oil. Also how often should I service it to keep the fork in good condition?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts