Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1996 Specialized Hardrock FS...so the components are quite dated. i noticed one of the twist shifters on the bike is cracked, and it's not shifting quite right now, and was wondering if i could put trigger shifters on and have it work with the stock derailleurs. i suppose if all else, i can replace everything...but it'd be nice to at least get new shifters and worry about the derailleurs later when i can afford the good stuff.

if it helps, the stock shifters are Grip Shift MRX-100

and the stock derailleurs are:

front: Shimano AceraX top-swing, bottom-pull/clamp-on 28.6 mm

rear: Shimano AceraX

·
dirtbag
1,527 Posts
Yes you can but you probably have an 8 speed drive train. In that case you'll have to get a new 9 spd cassette to go with the new 9 spd trigger shifters.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
commo_soulja said:
Yes you can but you probably have an 8 speed drive train. In that case you'll have to get a new 9 spd cassette to go with the new 9 spd trigger shifters.
NONSENSE!!! There are still 8 speed trigger shifters available!

From Shimano the Accera MC-360 and the Alivio M-410 are available in 8 speed and perfectly compatable with the OP's derailleurs. If he needs 7 speed then the Shimano SL-MC40's are available. From SRAM the Attack Trigger shifter are available in 8 speed and is compatable with Shimano derailleurs.

To the OP: You likely won't find anything brand new on a higher level than that. LX, XT, XTR 8 speed shifters are getting quite hard to find. But there is a used market out there as well.

The bottom line is, yes you can use trigger shifters with your current derailleurs no problem. Selection of shifters is limited, but they are available.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
1996 Acera X is all 7 speed, as mentioned above the Shimano SL-MC40 are readily available and cheap...and they work very good. SRAM also makes a 7 speed Shimano compatible trigger shifter called the TRX.
awesome! that's what i'll get, then :)

thanks for all the quick replies!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts