Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean the shaft on my rear shock ;^>

I got a Swinger 4-way Air pretty cheap off of ebay, but the catch was it came off a bike that was damaged in a fire. It holds air in both chambers and looks just fine. You would not know it was exposed to fire other than it smells like a campfire. However, there is one spot on the shaft that is a little rough (I knew about this when I bought it). It's not bad, but you can feel it when you rub your finger over it. It's a circular spot about 1/4" across. What concerns me is that it is right where the sag point will be, so it will be in constant contact with the dust seal. I am wondering if I can (or should) use some super fine grit sand paper to smooth it out.

What do you think?
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
kapusta said:
I mean the shaft on my rear shock ;^>

I got a Swinger 4-way Air pretty cheap off of ebay, but the catch was it came off a bike that was damaged in a fire. It holds air in both chambers and looks just fine. You would not know it was exposed to fire other than it smells like a campfire. However, there is one spot on the shaft that is a little rough (I knew about this when I bought it). It's not bad, but you can feel it when you rub your finger over it. It's a circular spot about 1/4" across. What concerns me is that it is right where the sag point will be, so it will be in constant contact with the dust seal. I am wondering if I can (or should) use some super fine grit sand paper to smooth it out.

What do you think?
Same way you repair damaged stanchions. Clear nail polish and fine grit sandpaper. Or if you've got, I found out that a dremel tool with the little cloth balls is really good at buffing the nail polish smooth.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Same way you repair damaged stanchions. Clear nail polish and fine grit sandpaper. Or if you've got, I found out that a dremel tool with the little cloth balls is really good at buffing the nail polish smooth.
So I just sand the blemish, and coat with nail polish? Do I then sand the nail polish?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
kapusta said:
So I just sand the blemish, and coat with nail polish? Do I then sand the nail polish?
No, unless the blemish sticks out, you probably shouldn't sand the shaft directly. If it's just a gouge (i.e. a hole), just fill it up, THEN sand the nail polish.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top