Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I am running no FD and sram 2008 x9 shifter and RD with a super short cage. I read that I could run 8 speed on srams tech documents and so that is what i am doing ( sram 8 speed chain and 8 speed cassette). I cant get it to shift right, I have gone threw park tool rear derailler guide.

When i watch the about of movement the x9 shifter moves its not enough for the larger gaps in the 8 speed cassette. So i am thinking i just need to get a 9 speed chain and cassette.

Is there something i can do so i can just use the 8 speed chain and cassette?

thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Mason71 said:
Okay so I am running no FD and sram 2008 x9 shifter and RD with a super short cage. I read that I could run 8 speed on srams tech documents and so that is what i am doing ( sram 8 speed chain and 8 speed cassette). I cant get it to shift right, I have gone threw park tool rear derailler guide.

When i watch the about of movement the x9 shifter moves its not enough for the larger gaps in the 8 speed cassette. So i am thinking i just need to get a 9 speed chain and cassette.

Is there something i can do so i can just use the 8 speed chain and cassette?

thanks!
Cassette spacing is different for 8 and 9 speed, you can't run 8 speed with a 9 speed shifter and a stock setup. You either need an 8 speed shifter or to do something else to change the cable pull (Doable on Shimano setups but not recommended, not sure how on SRAM)

Either buy an 8speed ESP shifter (if you can) or get 9 speed cassette and chain.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
It can be done....

but with one small problem, as you are discovering, you're going to be missing a gear or two in the rear. As noted the spacing between the cogs, and thus the indexing on the 9 speed shifter is different. Therefore the 9 speed shifter can't possibly be set up to correctly index for the 8 speed cassette. It can be set up to work, but only marginally. Shifting performance will be less that stellar, and as noted earlier, you'll be missing a gear or two in the rear at one end or the other of the cassette.

The simplest solution is to just run a 9 speed cassette, or an 8 speed shifter. The dreailleur is a non-issue as they are dumb and just do what the shifter tells them to.

Bottom line, for best performance and hassel free set up, the cassette and shifter must match.

And as a side note. The Shimano system is easier to cross match like this, though you'll still be missing gears, as the 2:1 acctuation ratio that Shimano uses gives a little more leaway in fine adjustment. The 1:1 ratio that SRAM uses is actually more finicky in this situation than the Shimano system. Kind of a reversal in roles.

Good Dirt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.