Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this crankset online and it is called the Sram SX Eagle but it says: Compatible with 11/12 speeds. Why does it say this and can I run it with a 1x9 drivetrain?

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
429 Posts
I saw this crankset online and it is called the Sram SX Eagle but it says: Compatible with 11/12 speeds. Why does it say this and can I run it with a 1x9 drivetrain?
it's talking about the chainring. you can take it off and put a 9 spd chainring on there from amazon or something

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
429 Posts
this might help:
i think it might be something to do with the fact that a 12 spd chain is a lot narrower than a 9 spd one, which leads to compatibility issues, but i am not really sure

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just a guess, but I think it would probably work fine. My thought is the reason why it's specifies is because it would have to have a wide / narrow chainring that accommodates the 11/12 speed chain. Putting a wider chain, the 9-speed, in the system would negate some of the security of the chainring teeth. If that's the case, I wouldn't think it would be a big problem.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
4,844 Posts
The other question you need to ask yourself is what bottom bracket you're using and if it's compatible with that crankset. Otherwise, you'll end up buying that, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You will be fine, you probably don’t even need to change the chain ring. But if you do change the chain ring try to grab one that is narrow-wide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts