Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10sp 29er with a 11x36 and I want to set up a second wheel set in 27+ with a 11x40. I am planning on converting to a XT M8000 RD so that I will have no problems with the 40 tooth, plus my current RD is bent and needs to be replaced. I would like to change between the wheel sets depending on where I am riding, but I am worried about the 36t compatiblity before I move forward.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
Yes, it will be fine.

The 36t gear is one, or close to one, that would be used on the wider cassette so it's covered. If you set everything up for a 36t then threw a 40t at it, there be dragons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. My main concern was that with a RD designed to handle a 40t plus GC, that putting a 36t under it might cause to much free chain between the upper jockey wheel and the GC.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My main concern was that with a RD designed to handle a 40t plus GC, that putting a 36t under it might cause to much free chain between the upper jockey wheel and the GC.
Well it has to handle down to 11t doesn't it? So of course it can deal with 36t.

·
GONE
25,875 Posts
If a RD is designed to work with gearing lower that you are wondering about, then it will work fine with anything higher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts