Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2015 Breezer repack expert and I have swapped it over to a 1x. I’ve added a 30T front ring and I am debating on running a 11-42T 10 speed cassette or spending $300 for a XT 11-46 11 speed.

My bike is basically like new still so I almost hate to remove a perfectly good 10 speed XT setup. I’ve heard that you can run a long screw and it might work?

I think I’d be happy with a 42T rear and it would be substantially cheaper than going 11 speed.

Edit:: Now that I have a 11 speed derailleur coming should I go with a 46T cassette?

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
A friend rode that setup for a time, only problem was that the shifting was not as smooth, in alternative if your are not pleased with the shifting performance, you can just get a RD-M7000, it's a 11 speed derailleur but works OK with a 10s cassette and derailleur.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I’m gonna give it a try. I ordered a cassette and B screw from Jenson. I also grabbed a brake bleed kit and some oil, all for $63. Hopefully it works.

I’m used to SRAM x5/7 and lowerish end derailleurs anyways, so I’m not used to buttery smooth shifting.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Id pass on the goat links. You can do it right for a marginal amount of money. Id go straight to using the correct derailleur.

Shimano makes an 10 speed 11-42 and its excellent quality, just heavy (deore level). The 11s derailleurs are cheap and work perfectly with 10s. The new deore level rear derailleur has a clutch is specifically designed to work with the 42t cassette. Ive found the SLX 11 speed rear d to be basically the same price as the 10s clutched deore, and they're functionally identical and cross compatible.

I went with the deore 10s cassette, 11s SLX rear derailleur, and a zee shifter for my kids bike. Its excellent and very smooth. Blows 9spd XTR out of the water by a mile. Super cheap setup, but its damn good.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I already got the goat link and the HG500 is on its way. I’m gonna give it a try and if it breaks or doesn’t function well I will upgrade to a new derailleur.

I got the goat link from amazon so I could return it but I bet trying to return the cassette to Jenson would be a Pita.

If I’m gonna get a new derailleur I might as well just spring for the SLX 11 speed kit from eBay for $182.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Cranking the b screw or using a goatlink works, its just clunky. Wear wont be an issue, it just works worse than stock, whereas using an 11s derailleur is butter smooth, better than 10s was.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Cranking the b screw or using a goatlink works, its just clunky. Wear wont be an issue, it just works worse than stock, whereas using an 11s derailleur is butter smooth, better than 10s was.
I used a goat link my first year with the bike and agree, clunky but works. The M6000/M7000/M8000 are silky smooth on 10 or 11 speed on our Repack. If you already bought the goat link, give it a try. The Shimano cassette seems good too although my family bikes have run the Sunrace models which are a bit lighter.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My last bike had a Sram x7 rear and it was way smoother than the XT I have now. I’ve been putting off tuning it because I know I’m about to change some stuff.

I really tempted to just try to sell all the 10 speed stuff for a few bucks and get the SLX 11 speed kit off eBay.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.