Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new GF HiFi Deluxe (beautiful bike) and am looking at tweaking the fit just a little. I was wondering if I could shorten the stem to either 80 or 70 mm to accommodate my longer legs to shorter reach. A guy at the bike shop -- the one that doesn't sell Gary Fisher, so he might not be an expert -- said that putting a shorter stem on this bike would totally change the handling and I shouldn't do it. Anyone know if this is true, or have any other information about it?

Also, has anyone used headset spacers to bring up the handlebars a little (as opposed to going with even higher rise handlebars)? Would there be any issues with doing this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The following comes from the Gary Fisher web site at FAQ area.

A. Yes, changing stem lengths is fine, within reason. The idea behind the geometry is to keep the rider's weight centered farther back between the wheels. If you get too small a frame, and try to compensate with a really long stem, you'll negate the benefits. As long as you are fit properly to the bike, changing stem length by 5-10mm to fine tune your position is fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
begeta50 said:
The following comes from the Gary Fisher web site at FAQ area.

A. Yes, changing stem lengths is fine, within reason. The idea behind the geometry is to keep the rider's weight centered farther back between the wheels. If you get too small a frame, and try to compensate with a really long stem, you'll negate the benefits. As long as you are fit properly to the bike, changing stem length by 5-10mm to fine tune your position is fine.
Thanks a lot for this info. I checked out the GF web site FAQs and found other useful information there.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
My advise is to go back to the shop you got the bike from. They probably have a drawer full of take off stems and will swap around with you to get the fit you like.

I have a 90 mm stem on mine.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Go for it. My Hifi came with a 90mm stem but she's currently rocking a 70mm and I love it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which (brand, model) stem did you go for? Did you keep the same angle?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Get fit for your bike

Find a local shop that specifically fits your bike for you. The $100 or so will be money well spent. It was a nice change for me to go from "hmm, I think this feels ok" to "we are changing this because.....".

·
Registered
214 Posts
second the fit...

I second the fit option. I tried to change things myself and was never happy. When I got my hifi pro, I paid for the professional fitting and have been extremely happy since. Plus my road bike was finally comfortable to the point of I got rid of my upgrade-itis.

Best money spent.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Kook91 said:
Which (brand, model) stem did you go for? Did you keep the same angle?
I went with a 70 mm Race Face Atlas which is real close to the original angle - original was 7 degrees and the Race Face is 8 degrees.

The Thomson 10 degree, 70mm looks like it would be nice as well.

Merry Christmas -

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the advice.

So what constitutes a "professional" fitting? I assume it's more than some kid at the bike shop watching you ride around the parking lot and saying "yeah, you look fine to me." Is there some sort of special training that makes one bike salesperson more qualified than another to figure out the perfect position for you on your bike?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Better shops will have someone trained in bike fitting. They will put your bike on a stationary trainer type machine, have you pedal for a while and take some measurements. They will then make adjustments to seat post length, seat position, handlebar position, stem length, stem position, etc. Maybe this link will help:

http://cynergycycles.com/bikefit.php

In any case, it can be money very well spent, buy reducing the chance of injury and making you as efficient as possible.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought my Hifi with a 90mm Thomson 0* rise stem. I have since changed it to a 70mm Thomson 0* rise. I like the the shorter stem. It's your bike experiment as you wish.

I'm not trying to down getting fit for the bike, as this is a process that can really inform you and will always help in any bike purchase in the furture. I am just saying don't be affraid to experiment with stuff, within reason.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
I agree that fitting is the way to go, but experimenting with stems isn't something I would get fit for. The one thing you definitely want to get setup properly, are your clipless shoes and pedals. It is always a good idea to have that done, to prevent injuries down the road.

Also, your professional fitting is only as good as the professional...so look around.

I have just the guy for you, if you would like to take a trip to Raleigh, NC.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ncfisherman said:
Also, your professional fitting is only as good as the professional...so look around.
Good Point. I think I have found someone whom I trust to give sound advice (without flying out to NC) as to how the bike fits me. I'm not sure I want to go randomly experimenting with different stems though, given that they aren't exactly cheap. It's just good to know that the general consensus is that I CAN go shorter if I need to without compromising the handling of the bike. Thanks again for all the input.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Again....an LBS will probably have a drawer full of take offs that they will let you try and/or sell at a reduced price.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
gmcttr said:
Again....an LBS will probably have a drawer full of take offs that they will let you try and/or sell at a reduced price.
Yeah, try this...I tested a few, at my LBS, until I found something comfortable. I have been using that for a while, but recently put in an order for a Ritchey Pro stem(which I probably spent too much on, it is just a stem).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts