Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Blunt Blazer
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this is the right place :/ but, was wondering if i could get a rear axle for my frame..i have a jamis dakar xam I 09. right now i run QRs and wanted to have a stiffer rear end. So if you could point me in the right direction or have any advice its be greatly appreciated thanks alot. heres the pic:

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
a 10mm bolt up will be the best you can do. look at hope or superstar or king or hadley. i have that bike and for the rear im getting a nc-17 hub and crest rim. that hub has a 10mm qr but i think i will get a hadley bolt through axle to stiffen it up. not much info on nc17 but there stuff seems nice enough.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
Azonic Momentum Axel is the one you need.
It steps the 12mm axel down to the 10mm you need to fit your dropouts.
Cambria Bike has them for $15. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
If you want to get more agro about it...I had a set of Hadley hubs with both quick release and 12mm axles for it. I thought I would stiffen up the rear end of my old Intense which had 10mm drop outs. I filled out the dropouts to accept the 12mm axle. Worked fine but I think if I had it to do over again I'd use bolt on 10mm.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
modifier said:
If you want to get more agro about it...I had a set of Hadley hubs with both quick release and 12mm axles for it. I thought I would stiffen up the rear end of my old Intense which had 10mm drop outs. I filled out the dropouts to accept the 12mm axle. Worked fine but I think if I had it to do over again I'd use bolt on 10mm.
given jamis' history the last thing id mess with is the dropouts.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
FrostyStruthers said:
I use a DT Swiss 10mm QR axle. I can't say enough good things about it. Might be a bit pricey, but it is such a nice and tasty piece.

These won't work with the OP's Azonic Wheels as they have a 12mm axel that needs to be stepped down to a 10mm at the dropouts.
I wish they would make a true 10mm axel set-up! Would give more options on axels! :mad:

·
Newt Guy
833 Posts
blcman said:
These won't work with the OP's Azonic Wheels as they have a 12mm axel that needs to be stepped down to a 10mm at the dropouts.
I wish they would make a true 10mm axel set-up! Would give more options on axels! :mad:
Well dang. My bad.

I'm with you.

:mad:

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
blcman said:
if you have the right friends maybe you could get some kinda step up sleeve made?

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
b-kul said:
if you have the right friends maybe you could get some kinda step up sleeve made?
Don't need a step up axel... it's included! ;)
The Azonics that the OP is wanting come with Both a QR axel set up AND a 12mm set up. You just swap the intenal axel assembly to switch back and forth.
Why Azonic doesn't make an internal hub axel that would use a 10mm axel is a mystery to me as I think it would be more widely useful.
Their 12mm to 10mm is very strong BUT very heavy and use 5/8 nuts on each end to secure the axel (thus needing to carry extra wretches) :madman:
As far as I know Azonic is the only ones that make a 12mm to 10mm axel that works with their hub.

With all this...I do like my Azonics though!:thumbsup:

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
b-kul said:
no, i mean like a sleeve to step up the dt swiss rws skewers od from 10mm to 12mm.
I see where you are going....:D
One could make the sleeve fit the internal hub assembly...press it in for a secure fit!
Could use any 10mm axel then!:thumbsup:

Good idea B-kul!!!

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
blcman said:
I see where you are going....:D
One could make the sleeve fit the internal hub assembly...press it in for a secure fit!
Could use any 10mm axel then!:thumbsup:

Good idea B-kul!!!
it might even be something you could buy at a hardware store or home depot... idk i suppose if anyone cared that much they could poke around the interwebs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.