Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
Possible

FLYBYU said:
I have the standard wheels with it and I'm looking to turn it into a fixed gear. Is this possible? Thanks for any advice.
You could put on a fixed cog and a BB lockring, and if you use enough locktite, you may be happy with it. Depending on your size, and how you ride, it may eventually unscrew under backwards pressure. A real fixie hub has a reverse-threaded lockring that won't unscrew.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
Don't locktite it. if you snug it with a chain whip and use the lockring off an english BB it won't unthread.

·
559 Posts
If you're interested in running fixed (which I recommend) without a true fixed hub (which I've never tried so can't recommend) check out Matt Chester's advice at 63xc.com. Scroll down to The no-lockring kludge. There's a lot of other good advice the site as well.

Just remember, don't stop spinning - fixed bikes don't like it.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
yes

if you have doubts about your mechanical competence in this area take it to your local bike shop (mine used blue locktite AND a lockring on my roadie fixie). even though i do 90% of my own bike work, i wanted THIS done right and NEVER want to know what happens when a lockring unthreads while flying down a hill.

he also said locktite takes 24 hours to setup properly so don't go plan a trail ride right for after you leave the shop.

off road fixed takes bigger stones than i have right now... your an animal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.