Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I have an xc race bike that came stock with 3.5 inches of travel in the rear and an 80mm fork. This bike is fast but the one thing I miss is going faster on the downhill techy stuff. After reading some other forums, I am thinking about putting a 100mm fork up front to achieve a faster downhill and overall more comfortable ride but still have a sub 25 pound bike. Will the longer fork throw off the handling of the bike to much and will I really notice that much of a difference in ride and comfort. I don't want to spend the cash otherwise.:skep: Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues in geometry change if your only going up to a 100mm. Thats still well within the XC travel margins and shouldn't raise the front end up at all, if a little. I would recommend a Minute super SPV @3.5lbs and 100mm of travel. You could even do a Marzocchi Marathon, Rockshox Reba/ Reba Race, or one of those white Fox XC Forks available in 100mm, and still have excellent handling without too much of a decrease in HA

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
look at adjustable forks

My RX100 has almost 4" of rear travel and I put a U-turn Reba on the front, externally adjustable 85-115mm. I keep it at 100, but on long fast downhills I can get some extra rake by going to 115. I can really feel the difference. Not in travel, but in rake angle. Overall, I prefer 100, and would leave it there if not adjustable. I don't bother go to 85, but 115 is a pleasure on the right trails. Personally, I never bottom out hard enough to want more than 4 inch travel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.