Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased a Raleigh Misceo 2.0 urban trail bike. I absolutely love it and am getting about 30 miles a week on average. I live in an urban environment that isn't very bike friendly in terms of commuter trails and traffic so I wanted a bike that would hold up. Specs are here:
Raleigh Bicycles - Misceo 2.0

I'm wanting to explore my riding options and take it out on local off road trails but I'm concerned about how it will ride. This model doesn't have a front suspension fork and I don't know how handling would be in a real off road environment.

I'm relatively new to bike riding but am looking for a recreational/fitness mix that doesn't break the bank and allows me as much variety in terrain as possible. I'm pretty serious about riding and I like to have intense rides and plan on spending most of my free time this summer riding.

I would love to have some feedback on how my bike might handle and if there are any upgrades that would be worthwhile and let me include more rugged trails in my workouts. I imagine a nice trail/mountain bike might be in my future but if I can get some enjoyment out of entry-level trails now with my current bike I would be very happy.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
You have two big issues.
1 tires... The ones you have won't be agressive enough for off-road use, but you tip toe around.
2 - Gearing. the 8 speed 11-32 rear is fine, but the 28/38/48 crank is really tall. It will cause issues with steep climbs, but then again you may loose traction first.

Otherwise if you keep it really controlled you should be ok on the smoother trails.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thats a pretty rad bike, and good on you for riding the heck out of it. Nothing better than being on a bike, no matter what type!

What type of offroading are you thinking about? That bike should handle double track and gravel with ease, and you could single track it pretty well. Just be easy on the wheels and don't try to huck anything. Watch the roots and rocks and you'll be fine. You'll find the limits of the bike pretty fast.

Above all else, have a good time!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sure, I pretend my wife is someone else all the time. Works fine for me. Lol

I use a touring bike with 700x35 tires and ride many trails and dirt roads.
Most bikes can, just won't be as fast as true Mtn bikes.
Don't waste time wondering, just go do it.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
I once went riding with a friend who I don't think realized what "Mountain Biking" entailed exactly. He showed up with a very old cruiser sort of 10 speed bike. The whole group had a blast on that thing seeing how much it could handle and honestly it did a heck of a lot better on some seriously nasty single track than I would have ever guessed.

·
EMBA Member
1,985 Posts
My first mountain bike back in the mid-80's was not too different than what you are riding - (more appropriate tires, not nearly as good brakes, among other things). I rode the heck out of it until the frame finally broke. Had a lot of fun on that bike (although I'd never go back to that now). Some people will swear the best way to learn to mountain bike is to do it with no suspension, because of the extreme importance of line selection and technique. Go for it.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
It has double wall rims for strength and 38mm wide tires. You can see if something like a Schwalbe Smart Sam 1.75"/44.5mm will fit.
I'd ride it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sure. My first "mountain bike" was a cheap Specialized hybrid, and I had a great time riding it in the woods. The real mountain bike that I bought next was better, but the hybrid wasn't too bad, really.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Take her offroad and enjoy carefully. You'll soon go broke after you get the biking bug...be prepared.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
that bike is pretty similar to a cyclocross with flat bars. which many people ride solely on trails. I would just lower the pressure and start riding it. You might want to change to cyclocross type tires.

I'm doing the same with my hybrid bike. I'm putting the largest diameter tires i can fit and taking for easy off road for riding with when I ride less experienced riders.

·
Registered
420 Posts
A friend of mine took a 'cross bike set up for commuting (slicks and a rack) onto our favorite singletrack. He was so fast on the thing that the only time I caught up to him was when he was spinning his tires because he lost traction.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
You can pretend anything you like. Like some others have said, it would be helpful to put the fattest tires that will fit on it.

I take a 'cross bike on trails from time to time. Actually getting ready to put mine back in trail trim. It takes a little more finesse, but is totally doable and fun.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Sure, why not...I pretend my mountain bike is a beach cruiser sometimes and it works just fine for that. Your imagination can take you anywhere you want to go!

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you set the tire pressure close to the minimum it will improve your traction and soften the ride. Your fitness makes a big difference. The stronger you are the better your hybrid will work for you. Get out there and try it then you will know exactly how it performs. You might have to walk up steeper hills but it could still be fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts