Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Now with 3 more inches!
1,463 Posts
To Whom it may concern:

Please find enclosed my application to become a Turner Homer.

Build pics will have to wait until I get back to Mexico City next week.

By the way, Laguna Hills Superformancego still has an XL in red and larges in black and red, all with Swingers. I figured I'd go with the Fox for future pushability.

Attachments

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
tigerdog said:
To Whom it may concern:

Please find enclosed my application to become a Turner Homer.

Build pics will have to wait until I get back to Mexico City next week.

By the way, Laguna Hills Superformancego still has an XL in red and larges in black and red, all with Swingers. I figured I'd go with the Fox for future pushability.
Congrats you lucky one!!!

Man, that ride is gorgeous. Pushable is a nice plus. Another upgrade on your list is some set of rockers to take it to 4". But just as of now it's a KILLA bike!!

For the build... don't sweat it... We can get it assembled in one night if we have all the stuff at hand. Just make sure you get cables and housings, seatpost, FD and BB... you pretty much have the rest, so it'll be singing and sewing from there.

If you can, get a shop up there that might prepare the frame... I don't know of a local shop that would have reamers and stuff to dress the frame. Maybe you know one, but I certainly don't.

Big Congrats!!! I know how much you've sweat for this frame!!

Patience has paid in your case.

·
Now with 3 more inches!
1,463 Posts
Warp2003 said:
If you can, get a shop up there that might prepare the frame... I don't know of a local shop that would have reamers and stuff to dress the frame. Maybe you know one, but I certainly don't.
Actually, I believe Turners come pre faced and chased, although the headtube facing doesn't look great. I've still got to get a seatpost and some zip-ties, but that's it.

·
Mexican e-rider
977 Posts
Congratulations

Congratulations and welcome to the Mexican Homer's club! I just might have to ask my Specialized riding friend to give me that extra Turner Homer Jersey back! I will definately be putting my XL Flux up for sales since I grew some cojones and purchased one of the Interbike demo 5 Spots. When my wife finds out I am dead meat.

XL Flux anyone?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
tigerdog said:
Actually, I believe Turners come pre faced and chased, although the headtube facing doesn't look great. I've still got to get a seatpost and some zip-ties, but that's it.
Wel... we can have it built up for the first weekend of december then ;)

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
elmadaleno said:
Congratulations and welcome to the Mexican Homer's club! I just might have to ask my Specialized riding friend to give me that extra Turner Homer Jersey back! I will definately be putting my XL Flux up for sales since I grew some cojones and purchased one of the Interbike demo 5 Spots. When my wife finds out I am dead meat.

XL Flux anyone?
I'll be happy to beat two Turners and a Titus on my Warp then!!! ;)

Nah, just joking!! I'm getting used to get my arse kicked badly by a crazy dude on a Raleigh with some RST non-damped fork!

Enjoy your new ride too Madaleno!! I'm looking after at watching at those beatiful bikes!

·
Now with 3 more inches!
1,463 Posts
The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm convincing myself I should get a decent shop to put a headset on for me. I really would hate to screw that up. Then I'll put my old King on my wife's bike.

Any San Diego Homers have a good shop to recommend? I'm staying in the Del Mar area until Tuesday.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
tigerdog said:
The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm convincing myself I should get a decent shop to put a headset on for me. I really would hate to screw that up. Then I'll put my old King on my wife's bike.

Any San Diego Homers have a good shop to recommend? I'm staying in the Del Mar area until Tuesday.
Just make sure you get the frame prep'ed. It's not that difficult.

Actually this is the perfect example why CK's last more... any headset installed with that level of care will last as long. Nobody wants to take risks on a 100 plus bucks headset or a big bucks frame.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
tigerdog said:

I was thinking that having a shop installing it would be a better decision, the rest you can put Warp to work on it on a room alone until he finnishes ;) j/k

btw, what are you doing with your Stumpy frame?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
I was thinking that having a shop installing it would be a better decision, the rest you can put Warp to work on it on a room alone until he finnishes ;) j/k

btw, what are you doing with your Stumpy frame?
What's wrong with my idea of installing his headset with a piece of wood and an Inertial Leverage Advantage Tool (ILAT or formerly known as "hammer").

Also... I don't think the CK would be so stuck into the Stumpy that a good hit with the ILAT and a nice long flat blade screwdriver (or piece of rebar) would not take it out.

Aluminum is not that soft!!

Anyway... the more naked chicks posters and more beer in that room you put, the faster I will finish (with the bike - I might spend more time in the room until chelas are over).

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Warp2003 said:
What's wrong with my idea of installing his headset with a piece of wood and an Inertial Leverage Advantage Tool (ILAT or formerly known as "hammer").

Also... I don't think the CK would be so stuck into the Stumpy that a good hit with the ILAT and a nice long flat blade screwdriver (or piece of rebar) would not take it out.

Aluminum is not that soft!!

Anyway... the more naked chicks posters and more beer in that room you put, the faster I will finish (with the bike - I might spend more time in the room until chelas are over).
Matt... just take off all signs of a naked chic poster so Warp can put attention on your bike... ;) j/k

I really don't know much about installing headsets, but I've heard that it's something that has to be done with a proper tooling. Probably it would not cost much to have a mechanich on a LBS do it, while if something doesn't work out, well, I really don't know if it is just something that has to be redone or a bigger risk. Just my .02.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I really hope you are joking about "aluminum is not that soft" regarding removing your CK headset with a hammer and screwdriver. Eeek!

CK headsets, although incredible, do not hold up well to removal/reassembly. Then again, not a lot of headsets do. I know that my CK headsets have gotten marked up from using the actual headset press, let alone banging on it with a screwdriver.

Then again, I could just be stupid.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if i may....
theres only one way to install and remove a quality h/set, king or otherwise, and thats with a professional h/set press and removal tool. period. in the case of a king, you must use the king press adaptors to ensure no damage to the bearing or cup is done durring install. i could be wrong here but anything short will void yer warranty, not that a warranty is usually needed cuz they last a friggin lifetime. that is if ya install em right. so kids, please dont be tempted to do some lame quicky job here. spend a few bucks and wait a few days if nessesary to do the job right. $18 to remove and install a king and cut the steerer tube correctly beats the crap outta a 2nd new $150 h/set and the cash to pay the man to do it for ya anyway. good luck with yer choices guys. i hope it works out whatever you decide.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.