Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No known cure
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The MT takes a 230X65 shock; the Smash a 230X60. EX Storia offers a 230X63 which comes with two springs. I know I'd give up some MMs of travel on the MT but it's all about quality of travel, not quantity. Do you think I can get away with not hitting the seat tube on the Smash and have one shock pull dual duty rather than buy two shocks? I don't care about a degree of a degree of geo change.

The price of the shock is a lot less than two Zoke CRs with Avy and spring upgrades and weighs a lot less.

EX Storia-$900 and 636g X one shock.

Zoke CR $300+$250-300ish for the Avy tune(depending on upgrades) and $130 for a Fox SLS or Ti spring with an estimated final weight of 750g X two shocks.

Thoughts...

ETA I'm getting the EX Storia V3 no matter what. It will either be in 65 or 63.

·
always licking the glass
4,032 Posts
Those 3mms make that much difference? That's the same a half worn tire.
Feel free to ask GG for confirmation, but I'm pretty sure it won't work. I could be wrong, so I'm interested in the confirmation either way as well.

Here's the thing:
There's 7.5mm difference from the suspension on an AL shred Dogg vs the Megatrail (230x57.5 and 230x65). The travel was 135/145 and 150/165 on them.

Those aren't exact distance the wheel will travel, or suspension behavior. So there's a lot of factors at play, but to me, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Vader: are there spacers you can add to the shock to make it 60mm instead of 63? That would be the best way to do that. I know you can do that with the Fox shocks.

Sorry the response took a while to assemble: long work day.

·
No known cure
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Feel free to ask GG for confirmation, but I'm pretty sure it won't work. I could be wrong, so I'm interested in the confirmation either way as well.
I'm going to contact them. I'm interested in the MT but running it mostly in the 155 travel setting and with a 160 fork with a Smashpot and Avy cartridge. I wouldnt mind lowering the rear travel a MM or two. You know I do some off the wall builds. Just wait. LOL

Yes, there are different bottom out spacers. Thin and thick. I'll be PMing you about the BAMF thing soon. I'm not really too interested in a 29er but if it can happen with out a shock change, why not?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah you should confirm with them, you MIGHT be clear if your rear tire of choice is an aggresor 2.3. I was running my smash last year with a longer stroke shock, but that was a different frame with different strokes.

Either way, lemme tell you something: I rode the Storia an entire weekend in some good old Colorado chunk, and that shock works like crazy. So much grip, EVERYWHERE. And the feeling of permanent feedback, of having the wheel tracking the ground and knowing every single little movement is just outstanding. The 11-6 has a similar feel to it, but frankly, I think I liked the EXT more (and I wouldn't use the 2 modes anyway). The weirdest part, is also how well it made the bike climb. More supportive, yet ultra sensible, no diving... There is an EXT in my future, for sure.

·
always licking the glass
4,032 Posts
I'm going to contact them. I'm interested in the MT but running it mostly in the 155 travel setting and with a 160 fork with a Smashpot and Avy cartridge. I wouldnt mind lowering the rear travel a MM or two. You know I do some off the wall builds. Just wait. LOL

Yes, there are different bottom out spacers. Thin and thick. I'll be PMing you about the BAMF thing soon. I'm not really too interested in a 29er but if it can happen with out a shock change, why not?
Cool! I love the feedback on the shocks. GG I think has a demo shock for it locally but not in the Shred Dogg size.

Officially, to run any of the four bikes in their setup requires a shock change, a seatstay kit, and the right size wheels and fork.

But that said, many people love to tinker and try so many things. Even I'm not running the recommended size for my height (larger size and long configuration because I have long arms and legs for my height), or the usually setup for a revved Shred Dogg (I'm running mine with the tall cup and a 160mm fork), so yeah. There's so much you can do with these bikes and just go nuts with the amount of things you can tinker.

But they're such fun bikes. I'm coming off an aluminum Shred Dogg I was running with a -2 degree angle set, and with the new revved frame, I have it setup just the way I like :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Get the 65 and a 5mm spacer if you want to run your bike as a Smash. It would be an easy conversion to install/remove the spacer behind the bottom out bumper.
Old post but bear in mind this would mean giving up some of the bottom-out protection in the EXT Storia.

A proper EXT service centre can size an EXT Storia V3 to just about any length/stroke. I am having them re-do my 250x70 to 230x60 for putting on my Smash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.