Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
i also unicycle
Joined
·
2,043 Posts
Funrover said:
My freewheel is shot, I pedal but it just spins and doesn't move forward. It's nor a cassette style. Can you remove a freewheel or am I looking at a new hub?
sounds like you need a new freewheel. msot are hard to disassemble and clean, some it's not too bad. your hub should be fine as it just has threads, all the bearings and such (for the gears at least) are in the freewheel.
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
Questions...

Funrover said:
My freewheel is shot, I pedal but it just spins and doesn't move forward. It's nor a cassette style. Can you remove a freewheel or am I looking at a new hub?
Does this happen when you're riding in cold weather and then resolve itself in warmer weather? Or is it all the time?

I agree w markf. Replace the freewheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ken in KC said:
Does this happen when you're riding in cold weather and then resolve itself in warmer weather? Or is it all the time?

I agree w markf. Replace the freewheel.
All of the time, and I am going to replace the freewheel.. hopefully that does it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,498 Posts
If it's a spin-on freewheel, the hub has nothing to do with it. Most likely the freewheel is dead. Remove and replace it. If you dodn't have the tool, bring the wheel only to the LBS & they should do it for a small cost. Don't invest in a f/w remover unless you plan to replace it with the same brand.

If you want to try a last ditch salvage attempt, soak the freewheel in solvent in a pan for a long time, agitating it once in a while. If it comes back to life, dry it thoroughly, and run light oil into it to re-lube.
 

·
Prone To Internet Drama
Joined
·
238 Posts
FBinNY said:
If it's a spin-on freewheel, the hub has nothing to do with it. Most likely the freewheel is dead. Remove and replace it. If you dodn't have the tool, bring the wheel only to the LBS & they should do it for a small cost. Don't invest in a f/w remover unless you plan to replace it with the same brand.

If you want to try a last ditch salvage attempt, soak the freewheel in solvent in a pan for a long time, agitating it once in a while. If it comes back to life, dry it thoroughly, and run light oil into it to re-lube.
Get a new freewheel/ cog. Its a thread on, most different brands require a different tool to remove them, and often you need a bench mounted vice to hold the tool. I would recommend taking the wheel to a LBS and have them remove it, our old shop used to charge $5. to do it. Then buy a new cog and screw it on the hub... easy as that. Dont even think about rebuilding, it's totally not worth it.
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
Sooooooo.......

markf said:
if you brought me the wheel and bought a new freewheel from me, i'd do the labor for free. it takes maybe 5 mins.
Buy a sixer of a good beer (Guinness is a great default) and bring it to your LBS. Ask them to help you with this right at closing. You'll learn, you'll make a friend and you'll be hooking up your local wrench.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top