Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The coil side of my Lyrik started to leak, and after changing the crush washer a couple of times realized that wasn't the problem.
I tried jb weld after proper prep after that didn't work tried regular epoxy with no luck. It still leaks. If it wasn't my brake side I might not care. The crack is the dark line
Don't have the cash for a new fork right now

Questions
- Any other way to fix the crack
- A small amount of oil is in this leg 20ml just to lubricate. Can I just pack it with judy butter (grease) I'm guessing without proper lubrication the parts will start to wear.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Mine did the same thing, get new lowers or risk getting new teeth.
Mine was replaced under warranty by SRAM.

·
EDR
10,103 Posts
My 2008 lyrik did the same thing in 2010. Even though it was several months past the 2 year warranty RockShox replaced my lowers for free. I don't see any way to fix this other than replacement.

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
Could be a good idea to find out which alloy it is before that and also if/how its heat treated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone had this separate during a ride?
Weighing my risks if I ride it, and monitor the crack while looking for a solution.

·
EDR
10,103 Posts
I had a buddy that was a test engineer for Rock Shox back in the 90's...........he was doing some testing in Santa Cruz and had a fork failure. He fractured his face. It was ugly. I wouldn't even think about fixing that fork.
While I agree that I would not dare bother to ride the fork either, I highly doubt his testing is in any way related to the OP's failure.

I would not chance riding a bike with a structural failure in any part of my front end. Simply a recipe for disaster. It's one thing to have a shock linkage give way during a hit, or a seat post bolt, but it's entirely different thing to have a wheel or a fork collapse upon impact.

·
Registered
744 Posts
1.Contact Rock Shox and hope for it to be replaced under warranty.
2.Don't bother welding it. It is too atypical of a alloy to run that risk.
3. Save up for a new fork or lowers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts