Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an A9C with a tapered tube XX fork. I recently had the wheels relaced with heavier spokes (17g from revolutions). I also swapped from Flow rims to Arch rims. The difference was day and night as far as tracking and corning (much tighter radius). I now want to stiffen up the front axle as I am now using a Hope SS skewer and still getting a bit of flex.

My dilemma is that my RS does not offer 15mm TA lowers and my hubs will not convert to 20mm. Therefore, I decided to look at the DT Swiss RWS 9mm skewers. Now I can't find 9mm end caps for my ISO CK's. Does anyone foresee a problem with having my current end caps drilled to 9mm at a local machine shop? This would also remove the steel tabs that the fork rests on when the wheel is locked in. However the Swiss skewer would take care of that.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
Revolutions are 17ga in the middle.
Your current q/r axle ends are 9mm, so "drilling them out" would result in complete removal of the 9mm stepped-down axle ends and probably of the ability to remove the ends themselves, since that's done by way of a 5mm allen key in the axle end you'd be destroying.
I'm guessing that if you want to use a RWS, that you should go with the regular skewer type rather than the thru-bolt.
From the owner's manual:
ISO Front
Chris King front ISO hubs are designed to work with 100mm fork drop out spacing. Do not attempt to use your hub with any other dropout spacing. The two piece axle design (see Fig. 4, pg. 3) is designed for a skewer-type retention device and must not be modified or altered to accept any type of bolt-on retention device.
I'd call King, and my guess is that they'll tell you not to do it:
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
meltingfeather said:
Revolutions are 17ga in the middle.
Your current q/r axle ends are 9mm, so "drilling them out" would result in complete removal of the 9mm stepped-down axle ends and probably of the ability to remove the ends themselves, since that's done by way of a 5mm allen key in the axle end you'd be destroying.
I'm guessing that if you want to use a RWS, that you should go with the regular skewer type rather than the thru-bolt.
From the owner's manual:
ISO Front
Chris King front ISO hubs are designed to work with 100mm fork drop out spacing. Do not attempt to use your hub with any other dropout spacing. The two piece axle design (see Fig. 4, pg. 3) is designed for a skewer-type retention device and must not be modified or altered to accept any type of bolt-on retention device.
I'd call King, and my guess is that they'll tell you not to do it:
:thumbsup:
Great find. I did several searches but never looked at the manual.:madman: I appreciate it very much. I will live with what I have until I either replace the hubs or RS comes out with a 15mm TA option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.