Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 specialized pitch pro with the stock "specialized hi-lo hubs" I dont know much about the wheelset other than this but i feel I dont coast as fast or as long as I would like to. I really dont know what I should expect or what's good/bad especially on different terrain but is there any general maintenance I can try to improve this?

Is this the sort of thing higher end wheelsets provide?

·
Registered
18,023 Posts
It's all about the tires. Wheel weight, especially rim/tire weight affect acceleration and heavy ones make a bike feel sluggish but tire design, air pressure and road/trail surface are what influence rolling resistance the most.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If the bearing pre-load in the wheels is adjustable you might make sure they are setup correctly.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Higher end wheelsets offer some benefits, but easier coasting is not among them.

Good tires will help you. Focus on grip in the front and something more easy-rolling in the rear. Also, find a good pressure for your weight, tires and riding style. Higher is not necessarily better, but pressure can also be too low. It's not about "higher" or "lower", but "just right".

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,245 Posts
Specialized HiLo hubs are just Formula made cartridge bearing units. If the hubs feel smooth off the bike with no play then check for brake drag. Hard to recommend tires without knowing what terrain you ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.