Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I just got my gt avalanche 29er today, I weigh about 215lbs. I want to know will me going off curbs damage my wheel? I won't be doing any down hilling with this bike just riding it in the city going over and dropping from curbs. This bike is a hardtail.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think you'll have a problem. Provided you have proper air pressure to avoid pinch flats. Getting up curbs tends to be the bigger risk. Myself at 280lb on a surely grampus, no problems with urban or rock gardens on trails. For urban I've got the V speedster 29x3 running 25psi, soaks up the bumps and gives a cushier ride. Any slick will ride leagues ahead of knobby's on pavement.
Nice ride.
I'm not up on rims but I'm sure the group here can give more direction on life span and abuse they can take if you post the rim and hub you've got.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
After a few rides you will want to check the spoke tension , that's what keeps the wheel strong and true.. You might want to check it now to feel what it should be.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Good idea on the spoke tension. Here's an easy way to check for uniform tension: Put the bike in a rack or flip it upside down. Spin a wheel and lightly hold the tip of a screwdriver or a pen or stick or anything similar to make a ping-ping-ping sound as the spokes go by. If the pitch stays about the same, the tension is uniform. If you hear a noticeable low, that spoke is loose and needs attention.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Assuming what's already mentioned (tire pressure, spokes) are in order, a curb is low risk for a mountain bike. I'm guessing the average MTB'er hits roots and rocks head on that are more significant than a curb all the time and never thinks twice about it. I know I do. It's more likely you'll go over the bars long before damaging a wheel. As for going off a curb... the bike hardly knows it's there. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts