Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have an old GT and am going to start using it as a commuter bike on a regular basis.

I noticed the shifters of the front derailuer are falling apart and had an epiphany: convert it to 1X. Specifically, get rid of the front deraileur and retain the rear deraileur.

Is this possible? If so, what would I need to buy/do? I want to keep the costs as low as possible ( or free ) to do this conversion since it's an old bike.

Thanks for your input in advance! :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
1992----hmmm I'd just shift to the front ring you want and then do not touch it again---or buy a new shifter off ebay for near nothing--others can tell you more on 1X but it will not be near free

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1992----hmmm I'd just shift to the front ring you want and then do not touch it again---or buy a new shifter off ebay for near nothing--others can tell you more on 1X but it will not be near free
This crossed my mind - thanks!

Also, I'd like to make some minor changes to the cockpit: shorter stem and wider bars. I'm going to ask my bro what he still has - had a similar bike. Otherwise, I could find something on Ebay?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Converting to 1x for commuting is really easy. Replace your chain rings with a narrow wide chainring (Race Face/Wolftooth/Absolute Black/etc) and get single speed chainrings bolts. That is all you need. Remove front shifter and derailleur.

Done!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Concert to 1x for commuting is really easy. Replace your chain rings with a narrow wide chainring (Race Face/Wolftooth/Absolute Black/etc) and get single speed chainrings. That is all you need. Remove front shifter and derailleur.

Done!
I don't want to go single speed, I want to go 1x. I want to keep my rear derailleur and cassette. It might be too much trouble for an old bike such as this.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I don't want to go single speed, I want to go 1x. I want to keep my rear derailleur and cassette. It might be too much trouble for an old bike such as this.
Sorry I was typing fast. I meant to say singlespeed chainring bolts. Because you will need shorter bolts to connect the chainring to the crank. Everything I said above is accurate.

I corrected my post above to read correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.