Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a long cage x.0 on my VP Free, but have a medium cage that I want to put on it (I'm running a chainguide up front and don't need all the extra chain length). I downloaded the manual from SRAM's website and removed the cage, then tried to put on the mid cage and I can't get the propper tension on it. unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to which holes the spring was hooked into when I took it apart, but have tried pretty much every different combination and can't seem to get it right. I even bent one spring by trying to get more tension and wound it too tight (luckily I had another). As far as I can tell, there shouldn't be any difference in the different cages other than their length. Is that right, or are they not compatible? Anyone know which holes that the spring is supposed to hook in to? How much am I suuposed to wind the thing up? If I hook the spring into the hole that is shown in the picture in the manual and wind it about 3/4 of a turn, then there is not enough tension and the cage just kind of bounces around. If I try to wind it an extra turn.... well, thats how I bent the spring. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the chainlength isn't the issue. Just to be sure, I took out an extra couple links but it made it so the derailleur was too stretched out when it was on the top cog. The problem is definitely with the spring tension on the cage. I don't think I wound it up correctly, and not quite sure how I'm supposed to do it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
download the tech manual (if it's different to the manual you have). it should help.

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/dealers/TM_MTB_MY06_E.pdf

as suggested, pay attention to spring position and chain length (both described in detail in the tech manual). in the end, if it doesn't work, then maybe the spring is stuffed. :(

note: i've never disassembled the RD, and only read the tech manual out of interest :p

:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did the same thing. Only I bought a medium cage kit (included pulleys, cage, and new spring). I noticed that the old spring, only 1 season had lost some tension compaired to the new one.
When you take the cage off there are 3 locations. Because the spring is a coil tension type the more holes you cover up the tighter it is going to be when you install it. For example; if the spring it covering the first two holes and is installed into the third that is going to be the stiffest setting.
Make sure that you are getting the spring properly engaged back into the derailuer when reassembling. You need to twist it untill the pin clears the stop. You should feel spring tension as you twist it back around to get the stop pin screwed back in.
Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts