Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do those of you over 40 wear snowboarding? Does it matter. I don't get to go a lot being from Fl. but I don't want to look like I'm trying to be too young. Thanks for any advice.

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
Forgive me for posting in the Female forum but in my Male opinion you should where w/e you're warm and comfortable in.

Now let me run away before the Amazon ladies hunt me!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll start by saying I'm not over 40, but I do snowboard a lot. First, you should wear whatever you are comfortable in. Second, that'll probably be snowboard/ski pants and a snowboard/ski jacket. I have several pairs of snowboard pants and they fit pretty snug because I don't like when my pants drag on the ground, or when I get snow down my pants. They are just more comfortable for me if they fit. Same for the jacket. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Assuming you wear a hat/helmet and goggles, no one will really know how old you are. In fact, I think many people think I'm a guy!

Wear whatever you're comfortable in, but pants/jacket made for snowboarding will keep out the cold/wet and be cut for the bent knee posture. Just don't wear the pants around your knees! :D

Marcia

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
not over 40, but not sure why that matters.

I ride with a big crew of women, some pushing 40, some just barely 30, I am 35. We wear what we like, and generally speaking that means high quality stuff that works in the resort, and lighter weight stuff for the backcountry. Lots of Arcteryx, Stoic, Oakley, Special Blend in our group (which also happen to appear on Brociety a lot). Oakley and Burton have nice zipper powder skirts. My current favorite combo is my orange Arcteryx jacket and some men's Oakley pants I stole from JMH.

I prefer men's pants, because I can put my phone, wallet, binding tool and flask in them. Women's pants sometimes have stupid pockets. I also like big pants, because you can really move in them when jumping. I wear D3O knee pads (which I also use MTBing), which fit better under bigger pants, too. Wear your pants as low as you like, don't listen to grumpy old ladies. :)

Also, as you might notice int he pics below, a lot of your bike stuff crosses over - especially stuff like base layers and armor. Get a snowboard specific helmet.

Snowboarding rules. I like it as much as bikes. 24 days on the board already this season...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the help. I have been snowboarding a while but I wanted to get some new pants and didn't know what to get. Thanks Chucky for the great pictures. That sure looks fun. Wish I could go more often, but I can ride my bike all year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the Burton AK 3L pants and love them for resort days. They are lightweight, block the wind well and you can really layer up underneath them without looking like a snowman. I have had some problems however with material deterioration in the seat area .. this is mostly due to the RED impact shorts underneath rubbing on the material and that fact that I spend a good portion of the day falling on my ass. ;-) I typically ride 3 days a week however and have put these pants through alot of abuse. minus the hole in the rear which some ducktape would fix, these pants are pretty good.

Also have a pair of Patagucci powder bowl pants which are much more durable and definitely warmer. I don't like the fit as much as the AK's but they are certainly more bang for the buck.

I think someone mentioned wrist protector gloves above...I use the level butterfly wrist protector gloves and they have saved me from a broken wrist more than once. Highly recommend them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.