Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although he clearly has the ability to post here, Conservationist has asked me to ask about his hydro brakes. He recently started hanging his bikes vertically against the wall with the front wheel up. He says his brakes are now mushy.

I think that while a properly sealed brake system should not be impacted by hanging the bike, hanging probably has caused his brakes to be mushy. IMHO there is no such thing as a properly sealed (100%) brake system.

Anyone have any comments?

PS: A pic of my fatso pug.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Dirdir said:
Although he clearly has the ability to post here, Conservationist has asked me to ask about his hydro brakes. He recently started hanging his bikes vertically against the wall with the front wheel up. He says his brakes are now mushy.

I think that while a properly sealed brake system should not be impacted by hanging the bike, hanging probably has caused his brakes to be mushy. IMHO there is no such thing as a properly sealed (100%) brake system.

Anyone have any comments?

PS: A pic of my fatso pug.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
I read about this in MBA. If I remember right there is a very slight possibility that if the brake system is not properly topped off with the correct amount of fluid that air can seep in through an overfill valve. If everything is sealed correctly and has the right amount of fluid, it should be okay. I remember it being a very rare problem.

·
Banned
7,965 Posts
I always store my bike upside down on the seat/bar. Last week was the first time I experienced the mushy brakes... They pumped right back up after a couple pumps though.

Then next time I rode it after being stored upside down, no issue.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
skinny-tire said:
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????
No, I am serious. And by the way, we took the dogs for a walk a couple hours back and the pug crapped on your property. I told Jodie to leave it.

·
rock crusher
257 Posts
I have had the same things happen with a set of Juicy 7's on an 07 Specialized Epic. We bled the brakes and now always keep it rubber side down... brakes now work flawlessly.

The brakes were fine for 6 months after the bike was purchased. No issues until we started hanging it vertically. The hydraullic system had never been opened, no leaks, no clear opportunity for air to enter the system. But, the haning of the bike for long periods of time seems to be the culprit. Doesn't make any sense to me either in a closed system... unless there is an air bubble that gets trapped during filling and repositions itself when hanging vertically.

·
Administrator
11,974 Posts
there can always be a little air in both the caliper and the lever. Hanging it upside down more than likely lets it find its way out of the caliper and into the tubing where it will compress under load. In the caliper it would be less noticeable.

The obvious solution is to get cable disc brakes if one is to hang their bike upside down all the time....that and get a pound puppy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The guy who used to own Avid lives in town and comes to my local bike shop, he explained that this problem was due to the placement of the bleed valve on the top of the brake caliper and because its on the top some of the air that is in the bottom of the caliper can still trapped on the bottom underneath the piston, and most of the time the brakes come bled from the factory like this. Hanging the bike vertically can cause these bubbles to escape from behind the piston and make your brakes mushy. ( Avid Juicy Ultimates have a second bleed valve on the bottom of the caliper that can fix this problem, im not sure if Juicy sevens have it or not.)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Pitch said:
I have had the same things happen with a set of Juicy 7's on an 07 Specialized Epic. We bled the brakes and now always keep it rubber side down... brakes now work flawlessly.

The brakes were fine for 6 months after the bike was purchased. No issues until we started hanging it vertically. The hydraullic system had never been opened, no leaks, no clear opportunity for air to enter the system. But, the haning of the bike for long periods of time seems to be the culprit. Doesn't make any sense to me either in a closed system... unless there is an air bubble that gets trapped during filling and repositions itself when hanging vertically.
Same here with my rear Juicy 7. I've had them bled several times (OK 2X) and the damn things still get mushy on me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah he said something along the same lines, he told us to loosen the brake lever and spin it vertically and then take the caliper off of the mount and hang it vertically underneath the brake lever then bleed it like that.
A killing would be an understatement!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I wouldn't say this is a Juicy specific problem.

I get the same lack of power issues when I tip my bike upside down for more than a few moments.

Like everybody else I usually charge 'em back up by pumping the brake lever. I've noticed that if stand the bike up on its rear wheel and pump the brakes a few times, is the most effective way for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.