Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright so I just saw this video about the Santa Cruz TR, it has 125mm of travel and the frame is almost like a Trance, so I would say it's a pretty similar bike. Allthough people told me I couldn't do more than a 2-3 feet drop with my Trance or could crack/damage the frame. But this guy is jumping 5+ feet, drops to flat and rides it like a freeride bike! Do I just need to change to a beefier wheelset and I'm done? Because that's propably the only I could see braking except the frame, but like I said the Blur TR frame didn't seem to fear any of those jumps..

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
None of those looked like 5ft to flat to me. 0:45 and 0:56 had transitions that he nailed perfectly. 1:00 looked like a jump up to a higher elevation. If you can land everything done in that video as perfectly as he did, then yeah. No problem at all on a light trail bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
At 110 lbs you're going to have a hard time breaking your bike. As a half-sized adult (125 lbs) I could ride my Trance X like it was a much longer travel bike.

I would agree with previous comments about your interpretation of the video. Getting air on a really smooth trail with great transitions...is nothing like 5"+ drops to flat.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
You're light, so you can probably get away with a lighter duty bike... for now. That video of Sorge ripping on a Trance is NOT what they were made to handle. And that's the point: Sorge doesn't have to pay to replace his bikes. Us mortals do. So he can push his bikes until they break (off camera of course), and it's no big deal. A Trance will not stand up to repeated cased landings, flat landings, etc. If you're learning to jump and take drops, you're going to shorten its life considerably, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I was told that a Trance (29er) would repeatedly withstand a reasonably ridden 4 foot drop to flat under a 200lb rider. By a Giant rep. While asking specifically what they would warranty under those circumstances, should it break, and I say "4 foot drop to flat". So..I'm thinking you should be ok on one.
Key phrase in bold. He's a rep. Their job is to sell things. Their job is not tell you what's covered under warranty. They usually don't know specifics on that anyway, as they are not often part of the returned goods loop.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The biggest jump at my local trails is about 4 feet and has a little transition, other than that there's some 1-2 feet drops to flat and the other jumps have pretty smooth transitions, so that shouldn't damage the frame or anything? I planned on upgrading to a beefier wheelset if they broke too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
See I am not that concerned about other parts because I can always change them but a frame/suspension fork are pretty expensive.. and what's the warranty on giant's frames? Do they send you a new one if you crash or it's just if there was really a manufacturing defect on the bike?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.