Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright so I just saw this video about the Santa Cruz TR, it has 125mm of travel and the frame is almost like a Trance, so I would say it's a pretty similar bike. Allthough people told me I couldn't do more than a 2-3 feet drop with my Trance or could crack/damage the frame. But this guy is jumping 5+ feet, drops to flat and rides it like a freeride bike! Do I just need to change to a beefier wheelset and I'm done? Because that's propably the only I could see braking except the frame, but like I said the Blur TR frame didn't seem to fear any of those jumps..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zo--fioVNg

·
Registered
804 Posts
I can't say what either bike would handle for long term use in the real world.
That was an advertisement from Santa Cruz. The guy is a sponsored rider and is not worried about breaking the bike or warranty issues. The main goal is to get you to buy one.

Also, you bought your bike, so ride it how you want. Although you should get the type that fits your riding. Check regularly for cracks.
Just don't get upset if the head tube rips off one day landing a drop that is more than the bike was designed to do.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm doing 3 foot drops on a regular basis, my landings are pretty smooth, so I should be allright?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I ride those same trails with my Trance X and much more as well. As long as there is a tranny, and you hit it, you will be fine. TranceX is an awesome bike, enjoy!

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,972 Posts
I'm doing 3 foot drops on a regular basis, my landings are pretty smooth, so I should be allright?
yes and no....because it depends...if you are landing to flat even a big dh bike will have problems....that being siad...in your video the guy lands on transitions on every drop except step up at end....plus he is a sponsored rider who rips...

reality: just make sure you are easy on the landings.....you will know if you are abusing bike...you will know

·
Registered
386 Posts
Dropping 5 feet+ to flat is difficult to pull off if your skills aren't there. The trail in that video didn't have any drops to flat in it so I'm not sure what you saw. Maybe that step up looked like dropping to flat?? You don't need much travel if you hit step ups right. Lots of speed and learning how to pop will get you riding away clean. What I saw was some well built flowy action that could be ridden with a BMX. Looked like a good time on any bicycle.

You sound like you're worrying about the wrong things. Your bike will do fine on most All mountain new school trails... as along as you land on the trannys and don't come up short. Start small and work your way up. learn good technique on any small take off. Wear knee pads. If your suspension bottoms out regularly on something you land clean. That's too much for the bike.

Just get out and ride as much as you can. Then you'll be like that rider in the video!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts