Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering getting a Marin Attack Trail or Wolf Ridge due to the fact that I can get a Marin so cheap (know someone that works in a bike shop). I am having trouble deciding weather to get a top of the line Marin for almost half price or get a Specilized Stumpjumper or Enduro Comp with no discounts. Can anyone give me their opinions on this? I am going to mostly use the bike for singletrack trail riding with maybe a little freeriding later.

·
Registered
81 Posts
butters said:
I was considering getting a Marin Attack Trail or Wolf Ridge due to the fact that I can get a Marin so cheap (know someone that works in a bike shop). I am having trouble deciding weather to get a top of the line Marin for almost half price or get a Specilized Stumpjumper or Enduro Comp with no discounts. Can anyone give me their opinions on this? I am going to mostly use the bike for singletrack trail riding with maybe a little freeriding later.
I am on my second marin and love them. I am 6'2" 210 pounds and I beat on my bikes. I have a 03 wolf ridge and it great for everything. My big problem with them is they don't really have any trail bikes anymore, just look at the difference between the 03 and 04 wolf ridge. They went from trail bike to xc bike. Just look at the amount of material at the head tube.
http://www.marinbikes.com/html/spec_04_wolf.html
http://www.marinbikes.com/html/spec_wolf.html

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Marins are great!!

butters said:
I just sold my 01 marin Wolf ridge. Not because any mechanical or bike issues. I just bought a size too small and had been trying to make it work. But the frame itself was solid. The pivot bearings were oversized and well sealed. No real flex in the rear swingarm and the 03 and older had the 4-6 inch travel adjust as well as the 69-70.5 deg head angle adjust. To tell you the truth, I had my head angle set in the middle setting after trying all three, and never thought it needed any adjustments. The head tube angle was great on XCish single track as well as at Plattekill ski mountain.

As for the new 04 models, I don't think the change in the front triangle will decrease durability. I think they realized not too many people wanted an adjustable head tube angle and the previous 3 void hollow monocoque design was a bit noisy. They still kept the 4-6 inch travel adjust but added the Whyte rear susp. design.

I say go for it if you can get a good deal. If the new frame pivots are anything like my 01, it will last a minimum of 5 yrs (their pivot bearing warrantee length) easy!

REEK

·
Registered
205 Posts
I love my Team Marin hardtail, it's been my everyday bike for 7 years. No problems with it, I recently but a small dent in the seattube down near the dropout. I ride some pretty sketchy trails and I don't worry about anything. the frames lasted great and I am definitely buying another frame soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like Marins are better bikes than I was willing to give them credit for. It's just I haven't heard a lot whole lot about them. What I have read looks like they are great XC bikes but I was a little worried about their ability to take some abuse. Also I have not read very good things about their customer service.

·
I like Squishy Bikes
1,101 Posts
Well...

I dont think highly of Marin design.
A friend of mine has an East Peak and I dont like the way the rear derailleur is mounted.
Its like a steel sandwhich...3 layers & 3 little bolts to hold it all together
(plus the hanger bolt on the frame).
My friend has a tendency to bang into things, so I'm always straightening the hanger.
Its like the least little bump bends it all out of whack.
We've also had a chainline issue, which has yet to be resolved.
The chain rubs on big 2.1 tires, nobody can explain it.
Its been to two shops...they say it all lines up ok (frame/chainline).

The hollowness of the frame is sorta annoying, if you're used to a quiet ride.
Just something to consider...everthing else is solid.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
jason74 said:
I love my Team Marin hardtail, it's been my everyday bike for 7 years. No problems with it, I recently but a small dent in the seattube down near the dropout. I ride some pretty sketchy trails and I don't worry about anything. the frames lasted great and I am definitely buying another frame soon.
My ex girlfriend got in touch with me. I asked about her Marin Rocky Ridge I helped her pick out in college (1995). She says it's still perfect and her favorite bike!

·
Since Nineteen Forgotten
146 Posts
Great bikes and reliable

Have a '99 Riftzone. What's really impressive are the sealed pivot bearings. Never gives me a problem, I had to replaced the bottom bracket and headset from years of rainy, muddy dirt rides but the pivots sealed bearings never seized or crapped out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Marin Quality

I'm on my 6th Marin and have also had numerous bikes by Specialized, and a Giant NRS but I've never had a bike(s) ride the way the Marin's do. A very underated company but that's ok since I never see anyone else on the trails with one. I get stopped in Moab & Colorado on my Mount Vision(s) on the trails and complimented on the frames design/looks.

Right now I'm on the 2004 Quad-Link Mount Vision which is a huge improvement over the old single-pivot design. It climbs up anything and descends like a 6" travel bike.

Ride somthing a little different than everyone else!

Lance

2004 Mount Vision
2001 Mount Vision
2000 Mount Vision Pro
2000 Indian Fire Trail
1999 Indian Fire Trail
1999 San Marino

·
Ridin in UT
98 Posts
me likey

I got a great deal on an '04 Rock Springs frame with the pro-pedal Float R and a Black Platinum up front and I love it. I built it up pretty burly for aggressive riding and the long Dh's in UT. (I think the Rock Springs is a notch below the Wolf ridge??) I think it's still only around 32-33 lbs.

I've been riding the crap out of it and have so far been very impressed with it's abilities. Like others have mentioned, I guess the frame is a little bit hollow sounding, and the rear end isn't quite as laterally stiff as others might be, but it has caused me no problems so far.

It handles very well in all of the travel settings, but like the others I agree the middle 5" setting is probably best for most conditions. Still takes good size hits with no complaints and is very responsive on the trail. The absolute best part about this particular bike... when you get up out of the saddle to sprint (or for climbing) the rear end literally locks out, and with a lockout fork to go with it, it feels like you're on a rigid, honestly. not like this is the only bike to do that, but it's the first full sus I've had that does that! oh yeah and the bb sits at darn near 14". more ground clearance = a good thing.

get it. have fun.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
They used to be good

butters said:
Had a used 96 Indian fire trail brake and they gave me a 98, my bro broke the 98 and they gave him a 2000 which he sold to a friend who doesn't ride hard enough to test the durability of that one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.