Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little boy is 2 now and is too big for all his riding toys. I'm thinking it's time for a tricycle. He isn't ready for a bike yet. He still trips over his own feet.

I took him to Toys-R-Us and they have quite a variety of brightly-colored poorly-designed pieces of crap. the old Radio Flyers looked extremely poorly made, and the new plasticy stupid looking big-wheel type things didn't impress me either. There was one that wasn't too bad, but it had a really high seat back (presumably for a parent to hold on to), and the poor little guy couldn't get his leg over the seat to climb off the thing without falling.

does anyone know of a decent tricycle? I don't mind spending a little more, cuz we intend to have more kids, and if it holds up, I can eventually sell it on Ebay for about 5% less than retail (sorry for the Ebay comment, I'm getting off topic)

Yes I know about the Litespeed $800 tricycle. That's ridiculous. I'm looking for something in between.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I saw one of these in a bike shop in Ketchikan AK. when my kids were young enough to ride a trike, but they wanted $250 for it so I passed and they ended up with a Kettler model. They are way cool and very stout and it looks like they can be had (thanks to the miracle of eBay) for quite a bit less now, almost 20 years later. The main thing is that they are relatively light, being cast aluminum. Those big tired trikes like pictured above are tanks, I have seen them for sale at Velo Swap for like $50.

Anthony Bros. main business is making commercial coolers and equipment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5911345765&category=11746

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
kanaka said:
My little boy is 2 now and is too big for all his riding toys. I'm thinking it's time for a tricycle. He isn't ready for a bike yet. He still trips over his own feet.

I took him to Toys-R-Us and they have quite a variety of brightly-colored poorly-designed pieces of crap. the old Radio Flyers looked extremely poorly made, and the new plasticy stupid looking big-wheel type things didn't impress me either. There was one that wasn't too bad, but it had a really high seat back (presumably for a parent to hold on to), and the poor little guy couldn't get his leg over the seat to climb off the thing without falling.

does anyone know of a decent tricycle? I don't mind spending a little more, cuz we intend to have more kids, and if it holds up, I can eventually sell it on Ebay for about 5% less than retail (sorry for the Ebay comment, I'm getting off topic)

Yes I know about the Litespeed $800 tricycle. That's ridiculous. I'm looking for something in between.
IMO...I would recommend you steer clear of tricycles. They are usually so out of proportion that the kids can't reach the pedals and when you push them their feet come off the pedal and drag the ground underneith them. Both of my boys got a 12" Trek bicycle when they turned 2. My oldest rode it for 2 years until his little brother turned 2 and he is now on a 16" Haro with hand braks and freewheel. By the time they were 2 1/2 they could steer, pedal and brake like they had years of experience. It is a far better investment than a tricycle, especially if you have more kids .

Attachments

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
Get a 12" biek with training wheels. Hell be able to ride it a lot longer and it has the option of going on 2 wheels later. Trikes suck, no brakes, and its hard to turn and stuff. My little brother liek his 2 wheeler a lot better than the trike back when.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks everybody for your help

Thanks everyone for your help.

Al, there is a Giant dealer about a half hour from me. I might stop by there and see how I like the tricycle. If not, maybe they will have a good two-wheeler.

ssinga, cute kids, thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts